He suddenly hates it!!

iVillage Member
He suddenly hates it!!
Tue, 11-28-2006 - 4:12pm

Ds has always loved his sling, but suddenly over the past few days, he hates it! I took him for a bit of grocery shopping last Wednesday and he was great. Then in the subsequent days he would get upset and I would try to put him in there and he would have nothing to do with it. He would stand up in it and I couldn't get it around him. Today I went to pick up a few more things and he freaked out as soon as I tried to put him in there. He kept standing up so fine, I tried leaving his legs out and tried loosening or tightening it. He kept screaming and screaming. I had just nursed him so he wasn't hungry. When I would take him out he would quiet down somewhat but still screamed. Usually, even if he screams when first taken out of hte car seat, she shuts up as soon as he goes in the sling, and falls asleep in no time flat. And of course, suddenly 3:15 on a Tuesday afternoon was the busiest grocery day every in that parking lot, ugh! Not a very good ad for AP! Usually he is so quiet and comfy and everyone comments on it.

Needless to say, I just packed him back up and left, really annoyed as traffic was really busy too. I hope this doesn't become a habit. I can't imagine lugging around his carseat and putting it in a cart, or pushing around a stroller in the supermarket and getting just a few things at at a time! Dh and I also had an AP related argument this morning as he felt ds had to learn to calm himself down sometimes, and he wasn't picking him up, he was trying to teach him how to relax and breathe. Yeah, good luck there buddy! You can try that when he can actually understand what you are saying, right now he needs you to pick him up and shush him and pat his back. Of course I had to deal with the aftermath and ds was clinging all morning. Maybe that's why he was having a rough day and didn't want to be in the sling? Who knows.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-28-2006 - 6:02pm

Beth, sorry that your dh is giving you a hard time.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-28-2006 - 6:42pm

I've been telling him about AP for a while now and it seems like he shuts his ears to a lot of it, although he was all gung go about bf'ing and wearing him in the sling. I sent him some links through email at his work today and I think he flipped through it. He still stood by what he said and said he appreciated what I said but...He feels he just wants to try a few things out so that he can see how X reacts to them, so he can do them later on. Well, later on would make more sense. Honestly, he is an extremely intelligent and sensitive person, I just don't know how he can say some of the dumb things he has lately like X needs to calm himself down. Sheesh! At least we made up-he called. he left without saying bye this morning and we were sitting right there. to top it off, my mom called and screamed at me again-she thinks she is X's mother, i swear. she finally got back into our lives after6 weeks as she couldn't shut up about how much she hates his name so i told her not 2 call if she can't have a positive conversation. she called, it was ok, but she refuses 2 say his name. her being quiet only lasted a week, now she's ranting about other things like baptism, getting blessings from church, and why i threw out the old nasty huge stuffed animals she sent down with my sister a week ago, how it's a sin that I didn't donate them ( I couldn', they were falling apar and others were so dirty, but so big I couldn't put them in to the washer. She thinks i still could've donated them. she can't stop. she's out again, maybe permanently, the ten calls a day started again so i'm done. sorry about my rant, nobody else around to rant to right now! she also can't accept that we are x's parents and parenting decisions r ours 2 make. Oh, and I am even angrier because I told her not to keep sending me all this crap she keeps decluttering (she's a packrat), and now we have roaches which we found a couple of hours after they came down here last week. She then has hte nerve to scoff and say we probably already had them. Nope, they come from their apartment, as they live over a restaurant and have had them for years. I hate those darn things and now I worry I'll have to use chemicals to get rid of them, which I don't want to do with X here. So I am trying to make sure not to leave any crumbs around. Also why someone needs broken xmas ornaments from 20 years ago, I have no idea, w hy I would need them that is for sure! Isn't that hilarious!?

iput X in the wrap 4 awhile just now and he was fine til he got hungry. he's feasting right now!

Beth

Edited 11/28/2006 7:14 pm ET by blueheroninflight
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-28-2006 - 10:39pm
I can't help you with DH. Sometimes I wish guys could just read our minds :) As for the sling, have you made sure he can see what's going on. Either wearing him in a modified cradle so he's kinda sitting up so he can see, or wearing him facing out? Our babies are about the same age and I know if DD can't see there is hell to pay. He might be becoming the same way. They are so curious right now, and the distraction might help him forget he's in the sling. GL hopefully he'll remember he loves the sling soon.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

DD 9/29/06 DS 2/20/09 EDD 9/29/11 --> also our 10 year anniversary!