Baby Bjorn??

iVillage Member
Baby Bjorn??
Mon, 12-25-2006 - 4:32pm

I have a moby wrap and lots of slinglings (love ya Sarah!!), but I also really liked using the Baby Bjorn with my first. I haven't tried the sling yet with the tummy carry.

My friend told me that she heard Baby Bjorn's cause hip and legs problems. I haven't used it since she told me that, but for walking the mall or around for an extended period of time I used to love it.

Are Baby Bjorns okay?

Angie

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-25-2006 - 6:23pm

Some people say that BB can cause spinal damage because baby hangs by their crotch instead of having their weight supported elsewhere. If you like the two shoulder carry of the BB, I'd use the wrap instead. :) HTH!

Piper ~ SAHM to Cale (5.02) & Pruitt (8.05)
~proud babywearer & babywearing teacher~
~doula-in-training~

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-25-2006 - 7:18pm

it's an unproven theory without much evidense that BB type carriers cause spinal stress or hip problems. i used a bjorn with my first child, his hips are fine ;)

Here is the article that brought up this theory:
http://www.continuum-concept.org/reading/spinalStress.html

The following info is copied from the baby wearer.
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=936
you have to be registered to read it, so I have copied it here just in case (I hope this is OK!)

Unfortunately there haven't been any followup studies on this yet. The article itself doesn't prove anything (nor does it claim to). Questions about this article come up all the time so I'll list a few releveant points for anyone who's interested. This could be way more than you wanted to know - sorry

This is the basic argument:
1. Certain Eskimo and Athabascan populations use babycarriers that resemble the Baby Bjorn for carrying their babies
2. The adult populations of these groups have a high incidence of spondylolisthesis, a spinal problem that can be quite painful.
3. Researchers who have analysed these cases believe the causes are most likely a mixture of the genetic and the environmental.
4. Casses believes that the position in which a baby is held in a Baby Bjorn style carrier is not developmentally sound.
5. Therefore she surmises that the cause of the spondylolisthesis in these populations is most likely environmental and specifically, due to the use of these babycarriers.

Casses gives four references for this article. Those references shed a little light but not much. Following the points above:
1. None of the references mention the use of babycarriers at all. I'm not sure whether Casses has evidence that these groups use a BB style of carrier and I would like to know this as it's crucial to the argument. AFAIK, the common babycarriers in this region are the amauti (Inuit parka in which baby in carried inside) and the cradleboard. The cradleboards I've seen pictures of don't look like great devices to me, though I'm sure they vary a lot. They do have many different features to the BB. In case anyone knows about this region and can shed some light, the Eskimo groups studied included Yupik, Inupiat and Aleut subgroups.
2. This is borne out by the references.
3. The studies show that full-blooded Eskimos have a higher incidence than part-blooded, and that rural-dwelling Eskimos have a higher incidence than urban dwellers. The incidence among the Eskimo groups is twice that of the Athabascan Indian populations. Given that none of these factors are analysed in relation to enviromnmental elements, it's hard to assess their meaning
4. The references do not dicuss this aspect. I understand that Casses is not alone among chiropractors in believing that the 'dangling from the crotch' position may be detrimental to babies' development.
5. This is a supposition and is stated as such. There is no evidence one way or the other in the references.

I've spoken to the Australian Association of Chiropractors, the Assoc'n of Osteopaths and the Physiotherapists. In Australia at least, none of these bodies has any stance on babycarriers, or whether one type is better than another. Individuals will offers their own opinions, but that is all. They have not done any assessment and there are no studies to refer to.

If you've read this far..great! My main concern with baby bjorn and similar carriers is that they aren't comfortable for the wearer for a big baby. I could only comfortably carry my DS in a BB until around 18 lbs. For him, this wasn't until he was close to 6 months old. However, if I had tried it with my daughter, I wouldn't have been able to use it past 2 months old cuz by then she was 20 lbs! They have narrow shoulder straps that dig in with a heavy baby, and a limited useful life. They are expensive relative to the amount of time they can be used, in comparison to a sling or other carrier. They are overly complicated compared to a sling

There are other carrier types that put the baby on your front in a position similar to the bjorn, and that create more of a seat for the baby, so that they aren't dangling..in addition they can be used for much longer than the BB and can also be used on your back.

So, I don't think the baby bjorn is bad. I just think there are better choices ;) I would rather see a parent use a bjorn than a stroller. If you already have a bjorn and are comfortable using it, then I see no reason not to use it. If there is someone out there considering buying a bjorn, I would consider buying something else.

Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-26-2006 - 11:07pm
As the PP said, there are concerns that the bjorn can put stress on a baby's spine before they're ready for it. As far as I know, there are no hard studies or evidence. My problem with the Bjorn was that it hurt my back once my son passed 8 or 9 pounds, which is why I moved to the sling. My husband never really liked the sling though, and generally used the Bjorn, so my son was in both. In general, I guess I found the bjorn a little more hands free, but I found the sling more comfortable and I could nurse my son in it.

Carolyn
Caden 3/23/03
EDD 2/6/07

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
>

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-27-2006 - 6:38am
I'd like to think that there's some reason as for why the hospitals around here (Sweden) recommend slings for preemies, but strongly advise against using BabyBjörn for children under the age of two weeks. We have a BB that some friends gave us, but I've never used it since I'm happier with my Moby Wrap.
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-27-2006 - 12:33pm

the bjorn instructions recommend not using it for babies under 8 lbs. My son was right around 2 weeks old when he hit 8 lbs. (DD, on the other hand was around 10 lbs at 2 weeks, ugh) There have been some accidents of tiny babies actually falling through the leg holes in bjorns. there was a recall a few years ago to fix the problem. the original bjorn didn't have any adjustments around the legs, the bjorn that I had 6 years ago had a button on each side to make the leg openings smaller, but I was never able to get the buttons around my DS's legs, even at 8 lbs, so the buttons were pretty useless. He was not a chubby baby either. The new bjorns are different from the one I had, but I'm not sure of the details.

A preemie baby will not be held in a good position in the bjorn. In any carrier, you need to insure that the baby's chin is never pressed to their chest. For newborns, and especially preemies, this position can pinch their windpipe and cut off their airway. A wrap holds a newborn more securely and it is easier to make minute adjustments to get the baby's neck in a good position. In a bjorn, the baby either has head support or not, there isn't much in the way of adjustments to be made. A tiny head can slump forward or flop around too much.

Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-27-2006 - 12:36pm

I carried my two year old son in the BB for over a year but the reports made me feel uncomfortable and I switched to an Ergo. I loved it and still carry him in there.

Good Luck

Sara