Good sling for petite mom?

iVillage Member
Good sling for petite mom?
Thu, 12-28-2006 - 3:48pm

Hi!

I am expecting my unexpected 4th child and have to replenish everything I gave away just months ago.....

I used a sling with my 1st (NoJo) and it was too big and never felt snug enough when he was tiny. It worked ok as a hip carrier.

I really do not like the feel of front packs or the elaborate machinations to get them off and on. My sils love their Bjorns but they seem too pricey to me.

Is there a good sling for a small person (I am 5'2")?

Thanks

baby growth

New and improved siggy coming soon (which could mean after Christmas)

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-28-2006 - 9:14pm

Congrats on the new baby!

If you get a pouch sling that is small enough, it would work.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-28-2006 - 10:53pm

yes, I agree a snug fitted pouch or an unpadded rail ring sling (like sleeping baby productions, or MayaWrap has a new lightly padded shoulder ring sling that I have heard good things about) are your best choices. The Nojo is notorious for being way too big on most women, even average size women. I had one with DS#1 and it was huge, I never was able to use it. I had the same experience with the "Over the shoulder baby holder".

most small sling makers can custom make slings to any size, just ask! There are tons of options, take a look at thebabywearer.com for reviews and forums.

Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-29-2006 - 1:30am

I am small was well, but a couple inched under 5 feet.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-02-2007 - 4:15pm

Thanks everyone! I knew this board would be full of suggestions for a good sling. With the baby being due in the end of July and school starting mid august for a 3rd grader and a kindergartener (who has to be walked to and from the bus stop by an adult even though her 3rd grade brother will be with her), and my 4yo in tow for all of that, I will need something to hold the baby that won't make me worry about him/her falling out while I make breakfast and check backpacks.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will check them out.

Dolli

baby growth

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-03-2007 - 10:51pm

Hi - I'm 5'2" also... about 101 lbs. I use the Peanut Shell

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-04-2007 - 1:23pm

Those fabrics are so cute!

I'm going to bookmark the site. I really think I am going to go for a pouch style as I cannot stand the tail on a ring sling. The pouches seem so much more compact.

Thanks for the link!

Dolli

baby growth

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-07-2007 - 3:43pm
I just saw this exact question on askdrsears.com.

Photobucket