sling/baby carrier recommendation?

iVillage Member
sling/baby carrier recommendation?
Sat, 01-20-2007 - 5:26pm

Hi,

I'm pregnant with baby #2. I had a TaylorMade ring sling with DD#1. She loved it, but I had a really hard time getting it on straight every time. Every time I put it on it was in a different position - the ring pinching my collar bone, or the too far down, etc. My back would ache after 10 min. It was awkward getting her in, and I could never have imagined nursing her in it.

I'm very small chested and want something I can nurse hands free. Secondly I want something EASY to use so I'm leaning towards a carrier instead of a sling. It would be nice too if my husband could use it. I think the Ergo Baby looks cool, but I'm not sure it's suitable for nursing, and I'm concerned with the baby insert that it would be hot.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Kim

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-21-2007 - 12:24am

I SWEAR by my Kangaroo Korner adjustable pouch. Its easy, just really a ring of fabric, no ring or anything to adjust and dig into you, and its great for nursing in realtively hands free. Its also amazing for cold climates (been taking my son out in just a regular outfit, hat and socks in it and he's been toasty). If you live in a warmer climate, I think the peanut carrier or new native are very similar, but of lighter weight material.

Here's a link to the pouch I have. They are a little pricey (though having a sale now if you're not too fussy about fabrics), but IMO totally worth is. I used it with my

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
>

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-21-2007 - 2:58pm

If you want to try a different ring sling,I would suggest one made by Jan. Her shoulder style makes a ring sling SO easy to put on right. http://www.sleepingbaby.net/ An ergo can be nursed in, but really not easily for a newborn and not discreetly. If you want something discreet, but very secure and more of a two shoulder carry rather than a one shoulder (like a ring sling) then I would suggest a wrap. With a newborn, you can wrap it around yourself in the morning and take the baby in and out all day without removing the wrap. HTH a bit!

Piper ~ SAHM to Cale (5.02) & Pruitt (8.05)
~babywearing teacher~
~doula-in-training~

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-22-2007 - 10:54pm

You can find reviews and links to all types of carriers at www.thebabywearer.com. They also have really active forums to get help.

good luck!

Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-01-2007 - 7:56pm
Check out www.slinglings.com These are "pouch style" slings. Very comfortable and SO easy to use. Your baby can be carried in a variety of positions. This website offer buy 2 get one free- I found this offer to be a great deal because I ended up getting 2 for myself and one for my husband. This company uses beautiful fabrics to make their slings and has MANY to choose from.