Can I start wearing my 1 year old?

iVillage Member
Can I start wearing my 1 year old?
Thu, 02-01-2007 - 1:54pm

I did wear Leah in a soft infant carrier for a while when she was really young (a great way to get a work out on the treadmill and get her to sleep at the same time). But I have never really been a slinger (is that a real word?). Now that I know more about it, I will definately be doing it with my next baby. Since I have been back to work 3 weeks ago, Leah is very clingy. I work nights and only a few a week, so she is only at the sitters for a few mornings a week (I am so lucky to have found a sitter that was very AP with her 2 1/2 year old - she just didn't know it - and is willing to rock DD to sleep - I know not every sitter would be wiling to do that...anyhoo......)

I spend a lot of time during the day with her on my hip, and I would like to know if there is a sling that can help me. I don't have a lot of $ to spend, so I am hoping to find one that is not too expensive. Any ideas? I'm also from Canada.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-01-2007 - 2:38pm

absolutely! I didn't start slinging my son until he was well over a year old, and we continued basically until I got pregnant with DD (he was a little over 3 years old at that point). It will take time for you to build up your "babywearing muscles". Try not to over do it at first, make sure you are wearing the baby high and snug enough, other wise you will end up with sore shoulders or an achy/tired back pretty quickly. You use different muscles to carry a baby in a sling than you do in arms, so it just takes a little time to become accustomed to it. I can carry either of my kids for a long time in a carrier, but my arms become tired very quickly if I try to carry them in arms..just because my arms aren't accustomed to it.

If you are using a one shouldered carrier, you will want to switch shoulders frequently at first. At this point, I can only use my right shoulder, out of habit mostly, but also because I haven't used my left one enough to make it as strong as my right. Since you are a "clean slate" you should be able to use both, but you may discover a preference for one over the other.

My DD is almost 2 years old, 30 lbs, and I just carried her to my son's new school (5 blocks), walked around for about an hour for a tour, and then walked back home. My shoulder was tired afterward, but I definately could not have carried her that long without a sling.

Good luck!

Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-01-2007 - 3:51pm

Sara gave a lot of good info.

I agree that you can start slinging this late.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-02-2007 - 2:40pm

Slinger is DEFINITELY a word!! LOL (DH uses it all the time) Another idea would be to go to one of the swap boards (or for sale or trade boards) and look for a gently used hip carrier like a mei hip (http://www.ellaroo.com/mei-hip.php) or hip panda (http://www.hippanda.com/). We usually use our slings and pouches for carries, but we also still do different carries, not just hip. SO. . .I guess what i'm saying is that if you just want to do a hip carry, these might be good too! :)

Piper ~ SAHM to Cale (5.02) & Pruitt (8.05)
~babywearing teacher~
~doula-in-training~

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-02-2007 - 7:02pm
Hi. I have done some research, and I am thinking of getting a pouch sling for my 1 year old. I think it was between that and the ring sling. Is one better than the other for this age? And for a beginner? Also, the sling I buy now, can that be used on my next baby (as a newborn)? Or do they stretch and become unsafe after some time? Also, if dd is fussy and wiggly can she pop out of the sling (say by straightening her legs?). I think I will be using the hip position mainly. I so wish I knew more about this when she was a newborn!! Thanks.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-03-2007 - 3:30pm
Hey there,
Well, here's some advertising for Sara. I just bought a sling from her (slinglings) and it is great! (Thanks a million Sara). Her website gives good information about sizing and care and use. Yes, you should be able to use it for the next baby too. And, I guess if it streches out you can just dry it the next time you wash it and it should shrink down a bit.
HTH!
~Abbey
Community Leader
Thu, 02-08-2007 - 1:14pm
Oh definitely!

Gail

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-10-2007 - 12:54am

I was talked out of getting a pouch sling about a month ago b/c of how big Bradley is.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-10-2007 - 1:06am

wow..who talked you out of getting a pouch?? I still use a pouch with Katie, she is 23 months old and about 33 lbs...

The main thing is to make sure you get the right size! You gotta wear him snug and high.

Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-12-2007 - 7:11am

Leah is barely 20 lbs, so I don't know if that means she would be better in a pouch sling or not. I am making one right now, and I got the fabric in the sale bin, so if it doesn't work out, it will only be $3 wasted.

I also just ordered a Mei Tai off ebay as well, and I think I will like that.

Photobucket