Trying to find a sling that works

iVillage Member
Trying to find a sling that works
Thu, 02-01-2007 - 2:51pm

Heya ladies,

I'm hoping you can help me. I use a Baby Bjorn and find it comfortable, but I find that it positions the baby too high for me to nurse her in it. It can be hard to perform tasks in, because she is straight up and down and I can't bend over well without smushing the poor thing. I'd like something a little more relaxed, that I can wear her in at home and outside of the house. I have a Nojo sling, but when I put her in it, it closes over her face, which I don't like, and her neck is at an awkward angle. It is the kind with the padding along the edges. I can't imagine leaving her in it for any length of time. She's 2 months old and learning to hold her head up. I'm 5'6" and 165 lbs, though losing weight (thankfully!). I have in mind a sling, but it has to be something she can be either awake or asleep in, so her head has to have some support.

I can sew, so patterns are also an option if someone has one they love.

Thanks so much for your time,
Maggie
mom to Ashryn
and Cailet

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-02-2007 - 2:36pm

Hi Maggie! :) The padded slings are definitely harder to maneuver baby in. If you want a quick sling to sew, try Jan Andrea's here: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/sling.html It has a great shoulder that will naturally spread. Another carrier would be a mei tai. http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/asian.html These work a lot like the bjorn, but baby isn't down in front of your waist, instead she'd at your waist (where you'd carry her without a carrier) so you can bend over and move. You can also put her at your back, and up high so she can see over your shoulder. Nursing necklace works very well for keeping baby happy when on your back. You can also nurse in the mei tai :) Hope this helps a bit!!

Piper ~ SAHM to Cale (5.02) & Pruitt (8.05)
~proud babywearer & babywearing teacher!~
~doula-in-training~

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2007 - 1:42pm
Hi, Maggie.
I didn't really like the Nojo until my baby was 4 or 5 months old. Then I positively loved it! It's all we use now. At 18 months, it is still a great product for us. When DS was smaller, we used the sling by New Native. It was great. I still folded up a little receiving blanket to help support baby's back and neck, but the New Native carrier didn't seem as deep as the Nojo. It's a slimmer fit.
Photobucket