Ergo reviews

iVillage Member
Ergo reviews
Sun, 02-04-2007 - 3:40pm
Anybody try the Ergo? I have a Maya wrap right now, but DS is getting big enough (he's only 14 lbs or so, but still) to make it uncomfortable for my shoulder. I need something that distributes the weight evenly on both sides, not just the one shoulder. We like to carry him in front, but we want to start carrying him on our backs when he's ready so we can wear him in the kitchen and on hikes. What do you think about the Ergo or any other carrier you can use as a back pack (we don't want a big framed back pack though)?
iVillage Member
In reply to: samneric
Sun, 05-06-2007 - 3:02pm

Hi,

In response to your comment about "mainstream" babywearers:
I think the one thing that made attachment parenting difficult for me was that some of the aspects like sling wearing didn't work out for me because my son had some physical problems. I had always thought of myself as COMPLETELY non-mainstream in many ways. I was raised by a hippy mom, got my degree in Fine Arts, am vegan because my son has milk protein allergy and acid reflux, etc. I think it is a little bit clique-ish to label people in that way. I am not mad or trying to start an argument but I just want to give you some perspective about my situation... I had a very difficult birth but I had high expectations and thought I was going to have a water birth. I saw a hypno-birth instructor while I was pregnant and I ended up having an epidural and a majorly painful back labor and my son was born vaginally sunny-side up. Apparently 10 percent of women can deliver a baby this way vaginally..so you can imagine it is very painful. I felt like I had failed because I didn't birth my baby the way I thought I should. Whatever the reasons were, it just didn't happen the way I thought it would. I felt like I had failed.
Then, my son was diagnosed with torticollis, a tilted head because his neck was injured from lack of space in utero and from the difficult vaginal birth. He also has acid reflux, pretty bad. These probs are not too severe, thank goodness but were enough to require I treat him with "mainstream" medicines and could not use a sling or side-lie nurse.
When your intentions are good and you are trying to attachment parent and utilize all of the methods and tools and some don't work, it can make you feel like a failure. I think too often this is not talked about in the world of attachment parenting. I think attachment parenting is so good but I don't think all of the aspects work for everyone. So, I just wanted to put it out there that although I like a non-mainstream baby carrier(ergo), that does not mean as a mother I am not qualified to be considered an attached parent. I don't think you were intending to say that really, but I think we all need to be aware that no one can be the perfect attached parent and there shouldn't be groups or sub groups within this wonderful category of attached parenting.
As far as the ergo goes, I love it. I had tried the nojo, maya, two other tie slings , the native baby carrier and a baby bjorn, but the ergo is the only one he is happy in. He likes to be upright and he is 20 lbs at 5.5 months, and I am small/narrow and it does work for us. I would reccomend it.
good luck.
Suze

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-17-2007 - 9:35pm
I just got my Ergo last month. They were having a special on them that if you bought the Cranberry one with the backpack and the pouch, you got it all for $116!!! I was thrilled when DH said yes! I home school and it's great to put DS in it and go about my business throughout the day.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2007 - 10:15pm

I use mine all the time! We do hikes with it too and absolutely love it. Dh loves it too. Corbin is 22 mos about 27#'s and he is in the Ergo on most outtings, hiking, and park days. He takes naps in there too.

Stacy

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-25-2007 - 1:12pm

I have tried EVERYTHING. The ERGO distributes the weight so much better. At first DS didn't like it, but now he does. Though I couldn't imagine hiking any distance wearing my DS. I have a terrible back. But for short things around the house, less than hour shopping, etc it works great!

Angie

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-12-2007 - 5:35pm
I love our Ergo.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-08-2007 - 10:40am
I have an ergo and I do like it, but I didn't find I used it as much I had hoped to - we went on a couple hiking trips and it was good for that and it was comfy for me but DS just never liked it that much - he mostly liked to be worn for cuddling purposes and not for too long so I found the ring sling to be our most used carrier - He much preffered to be in the stroller where he could see when we went out rather than be strapped to my back - but if you baby likes to be on you then it is a comfy carrier and totally worth it.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-04-2007 - 9:41pm
I'm pretty happy with it. We are just starting to use it. DS is 17 lbs and 4 mo. I like that I can wear it front or back. It does distribute the weight nice and puts a lot of it around your waist which is a nice break from shoulders and arms. For some reason at his size it is more comfortable for me to have him on my front but I have big hopes of enjoying him on my back soon!
~Abbey
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-04-2007 - 9:27pm

thebabywearer.com is *the* best place to look for baby carrier reviews, you have to register but it is totally worth it.

once you are registered and logged in, here are the ergo reviews:
http://www.thebabywearer.com/cgi-bin/reviews/reviews2.pl?folder=ergobabycarrier&category=softcarriers
It has 4.3 out of 5 stars. most people like it, especially more "mainstream" baby wearers. the only negative I have heard about it is if you are narrow or very petite you may have trouble with it being too big.

Sara
Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Sara
WAH Momma to Nicholas 4-7-01 and Katherine 3-9-05

Baby Slings

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-04-2007 - 3:49pm
do a search for ergo on this board and i am sure you will find lots of reviews. i had lots of carriers - this one was by far the most comfortable for the whole family. best money i ever spent.