Starting a sling this late

iVillage Member
Starting a sling this late
Wed, 04-11-2007 - 11:53pm

Hi everyone. I have always carried my DD (now 5 1/2 months) but I have usually just used my arms. SHe sleeps in my arms or on my chest for naps most of the time and I hold her a lot of the day other than when she wants to play or eat. Do you think I should bother starting to use a sling now? I didn't research enough into this when she was a newborn to even consider it (wish I had now to save my back and arms!!). I will for sure with my next child. If I do start now dooes anyone have any suggestions on how to go about it with her and what type woul dbe best (and also where to buy - I live in Canada).

Thanks!!! Jackie

march 2010 siggy 

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2007 - 10:42am

It is not too late for a sling!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-12-2007 - 4:27pm
Slings can be really expensive so i get mine on EBAY! I love hotslings and mei tai.I got 2 brand new slings for 39 $ compared to 60 each brand new.xo
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-21-2007 - 12:40am

I bought a maya wrap sling from a friend who makes them when my dd was 10 months old and it has definitely come in handy from time to time. I really wish I had it months before, but I'll have it for the next one.

Check out the maya wrap website.

Brittany

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-06-2007 - 2:33pm
Hi,
My 5.5 month old son hated slings from birth until he had maximum head control. He has acid reflux and torticollis (a neck problem that occured during delivery)...anyway, I was super bummed because I had 3 slings and was constantly trying them out to see if things would change. I think part of his dislike for them was because of his physical probs. but I also think I was kind of nervous and would take him out instantly if he whimpered at all. I just couldn't seem to get it right and I had a maya sling, a native baby carrier, a nojo sling(dr.sears) and a baby bjorn. I think he really likes being upright because of the acid, so I ordered the ergo about a month ago and he LOVES it and I do too. It has three different positions (hip, front and back) and its easy to walk with...he weighs 20 lbs already, so it's a better fit for us because he is so big and I am small. PLEASE do try it.it's not too late and it makes me feel so good to be so close to him. Also, it makes grocery shopping way easier..he falls asleep in it almost every time!
Seriously, once I had success with this aspect of attachment parenting, I felt really good.
(Once I flung a sling across the room because I was so frustrated! You gotta find the right one for you and your baby)....www.ergobabycarrier.com