big baby, Mei Tei?

iVillage Member
big baby, Mei Tei?
Mon, 06-04-2007 - 9:49pm
My big boy Riley is 7 months old. At 6 months he weighed 20 lbs and was 28 inches long. Right now we are using a pouch style sling in the hip carry pretty much everyday. I also have a ring sling that Riley doesn't like at all and honestly I don't either. He likes being in the pouch and even rests his head and naps in it while we are out. But as he is getting heavier, it is huring my back and shoulder more, and also digging into his little chubby legs. What I'm looking to get is a sling or carrier that will be comfortable for me and him, where he will be cozy enough to go to sleep, and preferably one he can nurse in as well. At first I was thinking of just getting another pouch in a larger size and lighter material for the summer, but then a women at LLL showed me her Mei Tei and I got interested in that. I don't know much about Mei Tei's. Would that style be good for a large baby, can I use it in a hip position. Does anyone have a recommendation for one? Also I am hoping not to spend too much money if at all possible. Thanks in advance
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-05-2007 - 2:06pm

I have never used a mei tei, but if you go to www.thebabywearer.com they have reviews on all kinds of slings and vendors where you can purchase them.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-05-2007 - 3:05pm
Thanks for the link! Its a great site, tons of info :) Thanks again
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-05-2007 - 5:16pm

You're welcome!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-09-2007 - 1:56am
I would totally recommend a mei tai or a wrap for your hefty guy. I just got a new Mei Tai baby sling and am so in love with it. I got it from www.mammayemayas.com. I bought the aurora baby sling. My DS hung out in it as happy as a clam all day today! Which is saying a lot since he hated my other mei tai. I think it's because my new one has a contoured bottom edge so it doesn't dig into his legs. I like the wide wrap-like straps, they're so much comfier than my padded MT straps. I used to love my ring sling and pouch, but now that he's pushing 18 pounds, they're just too hard on my shoulders and back. The one I got wasn't cheap, but was well worth it. I agree with the PP that you can find some good deals on the babywearer, or even on ebay. I highly recommend the wide straps over padded though. And be sure that the straps cup your shoulders instead of around your neck. Lots of my friends love their Baby Hawks. Paddes shoulders, but great fit. Also expensive, but often used ones on TBW. Good luck! Happy babywearing!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-09-2007 - 12:01pm

Hi Jenni!

I just happened in here, and saw your post.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-09-2007 - 8:52pm
Thanks so much, I'm happy to hear your big guy really liked being in the Mei Tei. I actually just ordered a babyhawk after reading lots of good reviews about on the babywearer site (They were also having a 15 % off sale :) I'm really excited to try it out with my Riley since he has gotten so attached and I really love babywearing but the pouch has really gotten uncomfortable recently. Thanks again! Happy Babywearing to you too!
Jenni
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-09-2007 - 9:00pm
Hey Liz!!!
Sorry I haven't posted in a WHILE on our October AB board. DH is still in Maryland so I am pretty much taking care of Riley by myself so I don't get a chance to come on the computer very much. But anyway! Its great to hear Clayton (he is sooo adorable!) likes your Mei Tei and thats its comfy for you since he is also a big boy! I ordered a babyhawk MT and am so excited to get it now, it sounds wonderful! It'll be great to have my hands free a little bit, and hopefully help Riley take some naps for mommy (he hasn't been napping too well these days, he pretty much wakes up as soon as I put him down unless I lay with him) I started a post yesterday on the AB board but Riley woke up so I couldn't finish, lol Well anyway glad to to talk to you! ((HUGS))
Jenni
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-10-2007 - 1:08pm
Have you ever thought of a wrap? I really love mine and I can use it in so many different ways. Also I can wear either of my boy if i want. Mine came with a dvd on how to wear my wrap 12 differnt ways.