Busy week here (ultrasound photo inside)

iVillage Member
Busy week here (ultrasound photo inside)
Thu, 08-27-2009 - 9:35pm

Last week, we received an email from our landlord asking if we'd be interested in buying this house. We were pretty sure it was out of our price range based on the rest of the properties that have popped up in this area in the last six months, plus we'd already determined that there were a few promising places in a village 30-45 mins drive from here (depending on which route you take - the shorter one is over a mountain).

We used some online calculators and did a little more research about mortgages, then it was my job on Monday to set up an appt with one of the banks. (On Saturday we spent time with Hubby's parents, so he brought up the subject of house-hunting to warn them that we wouldn't always be a few blocks away. I told my parents on Monday when Tim and I had lunch with them, and I think they took it in stride more than the in-laws.)

Tuesday was an ultrasound to check the baby's growth and everything appears to have checked out. (Not sure if the tech is supposed to draw conclusions or leave that to the doc, but he did, anyway.) I didn't expect pictures this late in the pregnancy, so the two face photos are a bonus. I'll attach my fave.

Wednesday was the appt with the bank, and apparently they have very high standards for their mortgage applications, so we don't qualify for the "free downpayment" option but the woman we spoke to said our credit rating is great and it's our net worth that's the issue.

Anyway, we were given the number of a mortgage broker who will hopefully be able to get interest rates as good as our bank from a place that is willing to take a risk here and there. We haven't heard back from the application we sent the broker, so if there's nothing in my email tomorrow morning, I'll phone and see how things are going.

We want to check out a certain house (maybe two) in person with a real-estate agent, but if we're told we can't get a mortgage at this point, we hope the landlord will hold off wanting to sell until we've saved up a downpayment. We've gone through our budget and found a way to have a monthly payment that's a bit more than our current rent, so we plan to save and be closer to that mortgage within a year or so.

Most of the time, my week is fairly light as far as schedule and important issues, so that's probably why I've been a bit more tired. Of course, if things work in our favour, we could be quite busy for a while...

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

Community Leader
Thu, 08-27-2009 - 10:41pm

Wow that is a super busy week! These types of things are stressful. Praying things work out in your favor. Keep us posted.

That is the most wonderful u/s picture I have seen in a long time. Little one is really growing.

I hope you are able to put your feet up and get some much needed & deserved rest. Hugs!

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-27-2009 - 11:30pm

I did have time to read the August BOTM in two days, so it's not a bad week.

Oh, and I forgot to mention taking Tim to the doc this afternoon 'cause we've had a lack of stinky diapers. That's a fun conversation. ;)

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-28-2009 - 12:25pm

That is a crazy busy week Miss Becca. I will be praying about all this house stuff!!!

Thanks for the baby picture. The little peanut looks great.

Photobucket

Community Leader
Fri, 08-28-2009 - 2:07pm

You have got to love those conversations! ;)

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-30-2009 - 10:52pm

An update on the house-hunting situation:

We decided that since we had to wait over the weekend for the mortgage broker to be back in his office and talking to various lenders, we'd see about our chances of walking through a few houses. We managed to get all three addresses we had in mind into the same afternoon, two by appointment and the other vacant (and an estate sale).

The first one we looked at is the one that fits well in our price range, and we liked it the best. Definitely smaller bedrooms than the others (with sparce closet space), but it has a large lot, a wide driveway that can accommodate both of our vehicles at once (no more musical cars!) as well as a garage and shed. That means we'd make up for the lack of storage space in this place. And we stand a good chance of being able to convert the laundry room to a third bedroom at some point by replacing the steep basement stairs and moving the washer and dryer off the main floor. (To start, the unfinished part basement will stay mostly empty because of the stairs...)

We do need to replace some of the windows as they weren't all converted to energy-efficient ones, replace a bit of galvanised pipe with copper (to avoid the possibility of corrosion) and put up a fence (only posts around the lot so far). We'd also like to deal with the basement stairs, but an obvious first step is a hand railing 'cause there isn't one yet! To deal with the closet issue, we'll buy a wardrobe or two. Hubby also has his eye on the wall separating the dining room from the living room - if it's not a bearing wall, it may go to make things a bit more spacious and make the division between the rooms "nebulous" as I'd like to call it. ;)

So, not the perfect house, but since we're looking to get into the market at low prices, we don't expect a place without a little work. We're just hoping this one's available to us since it's less work than anything else we've seen from online listings and in person... We're excited about getting to this stage, but it's also making us a bit nervous! Hubby isn't sleeping well 'cause he can't stop thinking about it all and I feel less organised than usual, probably because we're either busy talking about what will need to be done or I'm imagining all the packing and moving!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-31-2009 - 10:48pm

That is great that you got to see all three in one afternoon.

Photobucket