Hey Gang!

iVillage Member
Hey Gang!
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 9:13am
Just thought that I would post to wish everyone a happy hump day. Things for me are going well for the moment, except I'm having an awful time getting to sleep, and then waking up in the morning. Anyone have any suggestions for me as to how I can improve these. My (crazy) therapist gave me Ambien, but I don't want to get in the habit of taking it all the time. Ya know? I've been trying to pray on my rosary, but that doesn't help me fall asleep, it actually makes me think harder! I say prayers for EVERYONE imaginable, still no good. 'Eh, let me know what you think!

Love ya all!

Trixie :-)

iVillage Member
In reply to: vwtrixie
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 9:21am
(((((Trixie))))))

I had to cut out the caffine after 5 pm before, now that I am working nights and 12 hour days it doesn't seem to matter as much. But when I was trying to get to sleep in the evenings, and get up on time. I cut out the caffine in the evenings, drank water, or fruit juice or chamomile tea. All of that worked, and when my mind won't shut down. I count backwards from 100 breathing in, and then out before moving to the next number. I usually don't, no matter how stressed I am, make it to twenty-five. Another thing I have done is put a relaxation music CD in the cd player to run for one time through. Soothing sounds of water on the shore or whatever. You can find them at Target near the cards, on that funny display that lets you hear the types of music.

HOpe this helps,

Trac

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 10:11am
I take restoril when I can't get to sleep. The bad thing about that is I am very sensitive to medicines. Benedryl, Tylenol, Non-Drowsy Sudafed, they all put me to sleep or make me tired at the least. To make it worse I take these herbal diet pills called stackers. I am in that endless cycle now. I take a stacker first thing in the A.M. with about 3 cups of coffee then another around 2pm, then I am still awake at 11pm twiddling my thumbs and wondering why I cant get to sleep. I need to stop these darned diet pills but I am the biggest bear to be around if I dont take them. I have horrible head-aches and my mood is foul. I wish I had never started these dared things. Im a hopeless cause.

It might help you to sleep if you read some before bed. I find that I fall asleep faster if I avoid any activity an hour or so before going to bed. Leave just enough light on for you to read by. Try a warm bath first too. That is a luxury for me.

Love and Hugs,

Christy

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:27pm
Hi Trixie,

Some of the techniques my doctor and therapist did for me when it came to sleep was 1. Make sure you keep yourself on a schedule and to bed close to the same time and get up at the same time whether you are tired or not at first. 2. Definately no caffiene at night hehe and a hot bath does help. 3. MY therapist gave me this relazation tape where you start at the feet and work up slowly relaxing each muscle group individually. 4. Listening to soft music also helps; and as I tell my husband all the time when he cant get to sleep, DOnt try to sleep lol,, just relax and take yourself on a fantasy daydream and you would be surprised in 5 mins he is snorin on me LOL..

Good luck hun

*Hugs

Caly

*hugs             

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 4:21pm
Thanks all for the good suggestions. I'll have to try them all out and see what works best. You all rock! Take care, and stay out of trouble!

Trix

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 5:31pm
Trixie hun , If I stayed out of trouble I would never do anything at all! ROFL hehehe

Sweet dreams ! :-)

*Hugs

Caly

*hugs             

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 7:27pm
me too, i am with Caly on that one. Why take all the fun out of life by being good?