My laptop died!
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 3:00pm

It is over five years old, so I can't really complain, but I am going to! :P

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: harkness
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 3:48pm

That sucks! :(

Hubby suggested I check out the deals in the small business section at Dell.ca. I wonder if the US site has something similar where you can start at lower prices for good machines. (I didn't see anything saying you had to own a business to get one of those deals, but maybe they're under that category because they're not beginning with a machine capable of gaming and home entertainment.) Refurbished ones might also be available from NewEgg.

I currently use an HP Compaq Presario. It's almost 3 1/2 years old and I plan to replace it soon. Just trying to decide exactly what I want for specs. I do like the machines on Dell's site... I'll have to double-check pricing from IBM, HP and the like to be sure I don't pay more just for a certain name.

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

Come visit my blog and see my photos!

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 4:41pm

Mine is a HP too!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 4:46pm

Yay! Quick is best, eh? http://beccacarter.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

I'm thinking I'll order my new laptop after my new glasses come in (and we'll have our tax refund money by then). Kinda want to stagger the expenses. Oh, and I have to remember to get Hubby to order a new power cord for himself or let me do it - he's had electrical tape keeping it together for over a year!

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 4:53pm
Quick would be great!!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 5:56pm

That is such a bummer Angie!!!! Praying you get a new one really soon. We will miss you while you are gone.

Tara smfb

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 9:37pm
Thanks Jen! I will be checking in from DH's laptop when I can! :)
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 11:10am

Sorry Angie! I hope you get a new one soon. My computer geeky nephew says DON'T go with Dell, he likes Acer or HP. We have had good luck with Toshiba.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 3:16pm

I forgot about Toshiba! I obviously need to do some research before I buy... I only know that a Mac is out of my price range and I wasn't pleased that HP's wireless didn't work well with Linux, so I could never dual-boot effectively and got stuck with Windows only. (And that's one requirement - Windows 7, not XP or Vista.)

At my first job out of college, the boss had an Acer laptop and it seemed a bit glitchy. Same with my dad's first laptop. I know they could be a lot better a decade later, but I still have that negative association with Acer. *Sigh*