Ben's pediatrician follow-up

iVillage Member
Ben's pediatrician follow-up
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 12:01pm

We had an appt yesterday with the pediatrician who saw Ben when he was a couple days old. The doc had originally been called to our hospital room to check on a dimple near the base of the spine - Hubby and I just wanted to be sure it wasn't going to cause problems, neurological or otherwise - and heard a heart murmur. It was checked with an EKG and we had an appt at 2 weeks, where he said it was a soft murmur and would disappear as Ben grew.

The pediatrician has an accent I can usually follow, but he also has a habit of saying little directly to me and instead dictating a letter to the family doc, so it's full of medical jargon and I have to try to pick out the results of the examination! Anyway, I think the murmur wasn't noticeable, but I'll double-check with the family doc to be sure.

He touched on a few other things while we were there: the dimple on the back is shallower, a very good thing; the hydrocele - fluid build-up from a tract not closing off during fetal development - confirmed by ultrasound may go away on its own but if not, a procedure should be done after Ben's first birthday to drain the fluid; and a prescription given for cradle cap (which I thought was something not to worry too much about and it would go away on its own, but apparently it could be related to family allergies).

We also had Ben weighed, and he's 16 lbs 11 oz! (He was 15 lbs 1 oz a month ago.) What a porker! ;) Tim just barely managed to get to 20 lbs at 12 months, the provincial (and federal?) age and weight requirements for front-facing car seats; but there's little likelihood of Ben having a problem. He may be like a baby I met last year who was 22 lbs at 7 mos old! Now he needs to learn to crawl and sit up to help me out, so he can get around the house on his own and will be ready to go shopping without the awkward carrying of his car seat...

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

Come visit my blog and see my photos!

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 2:40pm

I am glad that Ben seems to be doing well at his checkup. But that has to be frustrating that the doc was more interested in dictating the note instead of talking to you.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 3:10pm
I guess if it were any other doc, I probably would. He's a very busy guy and since I need to see the family doc for myself as well, I wasn't worried about the idea of getting her to "translate" and catch us up.

Come visit my blog and see my photos!

Community Leader
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 3:24pm
So glad to hear Ben is doing well. Praying for that to continue.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-06-2010 - 12:11pm

Angie - You updated siggy looks great!! :D

Anne

Photobucket

Photobucket

Community Leader
Sat, 03-06-2010 - 2:43pm
Thanks!

Photobucket