Why did I bother? ;)

iVillage Member
Why did I bother? ;)
Sun, 03-28-2010 - 5:53pm

I was just on the phone with Dell Technical Support to see if there are any known issues with the DVD burner that came with my new laptop. I should have known better because it's not uncommon for the tech support people to know less than I do about computers...

I was told that I should be using Sony or Samsung discs, not surprising considering the burner is a Sony. With my old computer, Memorex worked well, so apparently this burner is picky. Not totally pleased about that, but what can you do? Dell isn't going to considering replacing it just because the customer wants to use cheap discs. ;)

The problem came when the person on the line - let's not call him a technician since he's probably just reading steps from a book - led me through steps to download a screen-sharing session. Presumably, he wanted to poke around with things himself instead of just telling me what to do. I'd put up with that even though it's not necessary. But the program wouldn't run, no matter how many times I downloaded it. And the tech just kept saying, try Internet Explorer (done the first three times it didn't work) and now try Firefox (done as well). Click the manual download link. Yeah, I thought of that, dude.

I finally told him that I was done with the call and would buy the recommended discs. I thanked him and hung up... I don't have the whole afternoon to stare at my computer and get more and more frustrated with it!

Now I think they're trying to call back, but I haven't cooled down enough after the first call. Ben will be up in a minute, anyway. If the same toll-free number shows up on the display after I've fed him, I'll answer and just say the issue is resolved, please leave me alone unless I decide to call back, or just email me instead...

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

Photobucket

Community Leader
Sun, 03-28-2010 - 8:16pm
We have had those days here too!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-28-2010 - 8:23pm

That is just crazy. It is so frustrating when so=called tech support doesn't know anything. Sorry you had to go through all that.

Dana(smfb)

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-28-2010 - 8:40pm

Yep, got a message that said they'll call me tomorrow because they need to work on a problem, but I'm not sure whether it's with the DVD burner or if they think something's wrong with my computer since that program wouldn't run. There actually could be, because there's supposed to be support software to load directly from the laptop, but that doesn't work either...

Hopefully I'll be in a patient mood tomorrow and Ben will be sleeping or just in a good mood - he's been grumpy for a bit tonight!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-28-2010 - 8:54pm

I just don't like the customer service you are getting sister!

Dana(smfb)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Community Leader
Sun, 03-28-2010 - 9:29pm
I pray you get a very good tech person and that the program runs!!
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-28-2010 - 10:01pm
Hey, it's better so far than the 19 days we had to wait for the phone company to fix a short in the line across the road... ;)

Photobucket