Computer update

iVillage Member
Computer update
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 11:02am

I guess I missed some instructions about Windows 7 requiring an extra step before burning, so I was recording files in the wrong format and that's why they weren't working.

Someone over here feels a little stupid... (but relieved there's nothing wrong with the hardware).

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 11:32am

Don't be so hard on yourself sister!!! We have all done things like that too!

Keisha

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 12:12pm
So glad you got it figured out!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 1:47pm

I guess I considered myself not exactly a Windows expert but a more savvy user, anyway, so I didn't expect that the new version would be different for burning. Other changes are more obvious - for example, the look of the desktop, and having a dock-type menu that means I don't have to always look for commonly used programs on the Start menu if I don't want the desktop cluttered with shortcuts. (I love a clean desktop. I don't have any icons on it at the moment because I can use the dock instead.)

Also a little embarrassed and annoyed that the firewall software I was running was the cause of the screen-sharing program not working. I disabled it from one of its menus and it still wouldn't let the program work, so I had to uninstall while on the line. I've switched to another one I used to use with XP, though Hubby said that the ISP's firewall should cover most of my needs. I just don't want to be vulnerable when I like to play around with game demos from time to time and install freeware as well. I may need to become a smarter computer user on that end!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 1:50pm
And how's your new machine treating you? Did you get one with XP, Vista or 7? I did a bit of research on laptops with Linux preloaded, but didn't like the keyboards. *Sigh* (And I found it extremely annoying that one brand only sold their laptops with multilingual keyboards from their Canadian site. Give me the option to have the layout I'm used to, please! It's bad enough that I rub against the touchpad while typing and have things open or close seemingly at random. I may also be touching the right Ctrl key by accident...)

Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 3:05pm
My machine is doing okay so far.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 3:39pm

I send router-behaving wishes your way. ;)

I need to see if the PS3 can access my videos now that I've changed firewall settings. Windows 7 is supposed to play nicely with game systems, but we'll see. It's not that I plan to use the connection all that often, either, just sometimes may want an alternative to the DVD player if a file doesn't play on it because it's not the newest thing out there. (And amazingly it was the cheapest Philips in the store at that point that had the ability to play the most formats.)

Photobucket