Ben's 7 months old!

iVillage Member
Ben's 7 months old!
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 3:18pm

Saturday marked 7 months since my "Big Ben" was born. Wow!

There are a couple of cute videos on my blog (http://beccacarter.com) and I have some photos to check out from a picnic last week with my parents, so those will be uploaded soon.

Ben's doing great at sitting up, so unless he's really sleepy, he sits in the shopping cart rather than being hoisted up still in his car seat. (It's cute when we go to the grocery store that has wide carts 'cause both Tim and Ben can share the front.) He seems really close to mastering crawling, but he has a tendency to "belly surf" and reach with his hands rather than move his legs. LOL When you help him stand, he's started wanting to step! It's kinda like prancing sometimes, so adorable. If he figures out walking before crawling, I don't think I'll mind, though it might result in more falls...

And the cutest thing he does lately is shake his head. He likes when we do it back, but he's also just shaking for the fun of doing it himself. LOL I find that it's funniest when he's sitting up and just tossing his head like crazy. :)

We don't have a dr's appt scheduled until the start of August, but I'll try to coordinate an unofficial weigh-in with Ben being held by an adult. (Usually need to do this with Guru so that he can check out the number on the scale while I'm holding the babe.) I'm curious whether he's gotten to 22 lbs and by how much. He loves his solid food, so I suspect his weight gain has continued.

Oh, and weaning tips from other mothers would be appreciated - we need more sleep at night but Ben's stuck on the comfort of nursing. I don't want to make it torture on him... He gradually dropped the daytime feeds and varies between 3 to 5 times at night (with one before I get to bed myself). I really think he'd sleep better with a tummy full of formula! He uses a sippy cup for water during the day (and I've used that with formula during a cold, to make sure he gets enough nutrition) but do have bottles if that would be a better alternative in terms of sucking action...

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-06-2010 - 12:11am

Happy 7 month birthday Ben!

So many milestones coming up.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-06-2010 - 12:38am

Oh my gosh, 7 months already? They are SO cute, and I love your cute Canadian "accent". I absolutely love baby giggles. I got to spend time with my 4 month old nephew this weekend, and it was so fun!

We made our kids "cry it out" so when they would start waking up at about Ben's age, I would pat them back to sleep. It is exhausting, but at least they aren't nursing all night after a few nights of that. Good luck!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-07-2010 - 7:39pm

WOW, 7months already. Boy how time does fly!!! :D Sounds like he is doing great.

Christina
ProudClDarkpurple.png picture by chickofgrace

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-07-2010 - 10:50pm

And now he's starting to move backwards! I've heard that can happen to some babies before they learn to go forward by crawling.

I didn't get to see him in action, though; I came in from moving the sprinkler in the back yard and there he was, far away from the toys that were supposed to motivate him to crawl. LOL

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 2:32pm

I've done some more research about weaning, specifically when the baby refuses a bottle. Last night I went with a suggestion about timing the feeds - I was a bit skeptical that the specified 7 minutes would be enough to quench Ben's thirst, but I tried anyway and found that he gave the bottle several sucks before completing refusing. Then I put him to bed without more nursing, and he was fine for 3 hours. :)

I'll stay at 7 mins for at least a few days and then reduce by one minute. Hopefully we'll see more progress with accepting an alternate source of beverage. I'm making up 4 oz at a time and using the rest of the formula when mixing his morning and evening cereal, so that should also get the taste a little more familiar and won't waste anything. (Still using Nestle sample cans and have to decide whether I'd want to spend the money on that brand or go with a store brand. Within a few months, I'll be able to introduce small amounts of cow's milk as well...)

We also have a backup plan we can try: Guru feeding Ben while I'm not close enough for Ben to smell the milk (needs to be more than 10 feet, apparently).

Trying to wean at night may be causing Ben to wake up a bit more, or he was already going to do that because of his age. ;) Usually he's okay for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, but if he wakes up earlier I just try to pat his back or pick him up in case of burping... Maybe some weekend we'll try to get him to go 5 hours or more (and be prepared for us all to be awake with protest crying LOL) but I think we're introducing enough change at this point. (So I could also scrap the idea of formula and just concentrate on making him sleep longer after nursing... Decisions, decisions...)

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 12:04pm
Isn't it fun being a mother? It sounds like you are doing all the right things. You might want to do some more research into the brands of formula, I have heard that the name brands are much better than the store brands, but that may just be a claim made by the name brands so they can charge more!
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 4:09pm
I can't believe he is 7 months!