Name quandry, need some honest opinions!

iVillage Member
Name quandry, need some honest opinions!
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 7:24am
I have always liked the name Dawson. Then the show emerged and my love affair dampened. Now i understand that the show is ending and i find my thoughts wandering back to this name. The bigger problem i am experiencing though is a co worker of my DH HAD a dawson.... He and his wife got married b/c she was pregnant, she tried everything to hide it and tragically due to an incompetent cervix and a combination of other factors the baby was born around 20 weeks, lived about 30 mins and died. This was about 2 years ago now. We are not friends with them, but do occasionally see them at work functins (which dont happen much anymore, perhapse 1x a year). I know her baby was named after the show.. anyways would it be in bad taste to use the name? I'd like to hear some good pro and con arguements before i bring this one up to my husband. I have miscarried before and we named one of our miscarries... personally only if her whole name was used by someone i knew would i be upset. Actually her name was Jessa Hope and one of DH's co workers decided to use Jessica b/c she thought Jessa was so pretty for a nickname... thoughts opinions?? Im considering Dawson Pierce
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 9:07am
Dawson Pierce is a lovely name, and though I'm not exactly sure what I would do in your situation, I don't think it would be a problem for you to use the name.

Other suggestions: Damian Pierce, Dante Pierce, Declan Pierce, Dunn Pierce, Donal Pierce, Donovan Pierce, Dylan Pierce, Dashiell Pierce, Darren Pierce, Derek Pierce, Diego Pierce?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:46pm
i think it is a nice name i knew a dawson, and i think its fine to use it they arent that close to you, if it was a sister or best friend maybe its different
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 4:14pm
I personally do not think that it would be in bad taste.

there are names I hadn't chosen for one of my children because of different reasons like I know someone i didn't like with that name .... would it bother you to have a child with that name knowing the co-worker had the same? I think that's the question. Because if you're comfortable with it, then go for it, i would. :)

hope i helped

Jessica

((by the way i ended up naming my kids Kyla Danielle, and Miah Elexis ))

Little Girl fairy
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 4:45pm
Dawson Pierce is a great name. The TV show's popularity is waning, so I don't know that he'd be automatically associated with that, though many people may assume you were fans of the the show. I wouldn't be too concerned about the coworker since you don't associate with them much.

Have you considered Lawson, Davin, Dalton, Dayson, Dayton, Dannon, Carson, Rylan, or Mason?

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 10:53am
Have you considered Lawson, Davin, Dalton, Dayson, Dayton, Dannon, Carson, Rylan, or Mason?

Lawson was the last name of a mean mean kid i went to highschool with, Dalton is a bookstore around here, Dayton is too much like Daytona which is like 49 mins from here, Dannon is yogurt to me, Have thought about Rylan ans Mason is a name in my SIL's "hope chest", Davin is too close to an EX bf's name and our friends have a Dyson... too close to Dayson

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 1:01pm
Seems like a rough situation at first. I do like the name Dawson Pierce... did you ever consider using Dawson as a middle name?

Do you think that DHs coworkers would be upset-- considering that he would see the coworker more than you on a regular basis. If you dont think so, then I would use it.

But, you said you would not be happy someone using your angel's name-- Jessa Hope. But, someone is using it as a nn. I am little mixed on this issue-- it all ends up back to -- what would their reaction be? how friendly are you?

I had a friend of mine recently steal a name that I loved for her DD- so that is similar also-- it did hurt, but my DH said there are thousands of other names that we can learn to love for future children. The name was -- Alanna Jade.

I hope this kind of helped!! Danielle