anybody not into middle names?

iVillage Member
anybody not into middle names?
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:24pm
I didn't have a mn until I got married and then I took my maiden name. DD#1 has my maiden name as her mn as well and that is what I actually plan to do with all my children. My two sisters have family names as their middle names and I don't think much thought was given to them aside from what they are meant to represent (my mother's side of the family). I feel the same way about my children - I don't care much about how the middle name sounds with the first name, I just want it to have some meaning and to represent my side of the family since I took my DH's last name. Just wondering if anyone else had the same thoughts on middle names. That is also why, when I post for opinions on names, I usually only ask about the first name because the middle name isn't really up for debate!
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 12:39pm
I really like my middle name, I was named for my grandmother, Rose. I have shared it with my daughter, her mn is also Rose.

I hated my maiden name and I was not at all sorry to see it go-- I changed my name to my husband's and kept Rose as my middle name!

Our son will be adopted from South Korea and we plan to use his birthname as his middle name (why I always have to tell people I am only looking for a first name on this board)...I think that the middle name place for me is always reserved for family names-- either ours' or our children's birth families.

Kate

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 1:18pm
Kate, I think that's a lovely idea to use your new son's original last name as his middle name. Good luck with your adoption!
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 7:25pm
I agree- our mothers get the shaft on surnames, especially now that we women ask our husbands what first names they like. I was named after my maternal grandmother's mother, Lenora Cole Thompson, who named my grandmother Betty Cole. I named my son after my grandmother's husband, and also used Cole as a middle name. I like the heritage part of names more than the popularity, unpopularity or bizarre spellings. jmo