Which Way To Go?

iVillage Member
Which Way To Go?
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 9:42am
I have decided that there are two ways to approach naming my baby.

1) Use the slightly outlandish names I love... ex. Isis, Phaedra, Aonthe, Acacia, Persephone, Arista, Bronte, Bronwen, Sebastian, Atticus ( For combos, I am at a loss with these for now)

2) Use more acceptable names that I like...

Olivia Paige

>Madelyn Gabrielle

>Ella Grace

>Meredith Laurel

>Trinity Quinn

>Sophia Clare

>Alexandria Brynn

>

>Gavin Michael

>Tristan Cole

>Alexander Quinn

>Carter Alexander

Nicholas Alexander

Of course, anyone I have discussed baby names with wants me to go with the more acceptable names.. Ella Grace is the favorite among the people I've discussed this with, along with Nicholas Alexander.

So, my question, which I have gotten to (despite my longwindedness) is: Do you name the baby a cute name that is widely accepted, or do you name them a name you love despite what people think? I mean, I have to be honest, I laugh when people name their children Heaven, Neveah, Precious, Dream, etc.

Any thoughts... comments... be honest...please. Thanks.

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: jenrenea
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 1:26pm
You have a huge variety of names- looks like a chore to narrow down. My opinion is one of someone who grew up with an unusual name, during a time when every other girl in my class was Christie, Kristin, Crystal, Jennifer, Amy or Lori. Times have changes so much that now it seems the majority of kids have an unusual name, but I don't know if that makes it any more comfortable for the kid. I love the lists of unusual names, but I think it would be difficult growing up with some of them. I never could find a cool license plate for my bike growing up, or anything else personalized. A small sacrifice, for a name I appreciate as an adult. But to this day, I have to repeat my name at least once to anyone and everyone who asks, and more often than not I have to spell it as well. I've never been comfortable saying it, because I know the next question is "what?" And I have to realize that I'll be called an assortment of other names before the person figures out that I'm not Leona, Lorraine, Elenore, Leonora, Lenora or any other L name but Lenore. When I was 8 or 9 I used to lie and make up good popular names for myself when talking to new people... I even tried going by my middle name for a while, but it didn't work.

Name your kids what you love, but don't expect a unique name to make a unique person. I think it actually makes a person want to blend in more.

Good luck- (by the way, I grew up next door to sisters named Medea and Phaedra, and I'm sure they are well adjusted adults.)

Only an opinion.

Lenore Elizabeth

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 3:50pm
I'm not sure how much help I will be, but here goes. I love unusual names, but I also love regular classic names, in fact, I love too many names. You should name your child whatever name you like, regardless of what other people think.

Isis, Acacia, Bronte, Bronwen, Sebastian & Atticus are all absolutely lovely!

As are Ella Grace, Sophia Clare, Alexandria Brynn, Tristan Cole, Alexander Quinn &

Nicholas Alexander (all of your combos are nice, but these are my favorites).

How about using a more common first name with a unique middle name:

Ella Bronwen, Sophia Isis, Alexandria Bronte, Cole Sebastian?

Good luck!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 6:55pm
Ultimately, you should go with what you love. Personally, I plan on using names that are known but not used a lot. However, I like lots of names, both common & unusual and maybe I will decide to go with something unusual. In my experience, people with unusual names are remembered for their names, whereas the jillions of Jennifers and Ashleys run together in people's memmories. Babies are being given such a wide range of names these days. Yes, a child with an unusual name will end up spelling his/her name a lot, but so do many people with "traditional" names since so many have multiple spellings.

I love most of the names on your 2nd list, but many of them are extremely popular. Olivia, Madelyn, Sophia, Ella, Alexandria, Alexander, & Nicholas are lovely names, but are being given to lots of babies. Your child is sure to encounter many others with these names. Meredith, Gavin, & Carter are names that fit my criteria (not weird, not popular), but I think that all have the potential to become very popular in the near future like many of my previous favorites (Olivia, Sophia, Ella, Madelyn). I LOVE Acacia, but probably wouldn't use the name myself a family friend has a daughter named Acacia. I think it's a lovely name. I kind of like Bronwen, but the other girl's names on your first list are nms, but they are pretty names. I have mixed feelings on Atticus and Sebastian. They're not names I would use (at this point anyway), but they have been growing on me. Unfortunately, I always think of the crab on 'The Little Mermaid' when I hear Sebastian. I have also been hearing this name around more, and I think it could become more mainstream.

Maybe you could go with something "in between." Some of the names I like - Cassia, Eleanor (nn Ella?), Isadora, Camille, Eden, Felicity, Genevieve, Greta, Helen, Josephine, Katrina, Katriel, Lydia, Louisa, Nina, Nora, Octavia, Ruby, Stella, Sabrina, Samara, Sage, Tabitha, Tatiana, Vanessa, Valerie, Willa ~ Archer, Declan, Dayton, Dannon, Everett, Holden, Isaiah, Josiah, Julian, Keaton, Lionel, Lance, Milo, Marshall, Malcolm, Nolan, Oliver, Pierce, Quinlan, Russell, Rylan, Rulan, Sullivan, Trenton, Zane, Zoltan

Or an "unusual" name with a traditional nn - Acacia, nn Caci/Casey, Sebastian, nn Ian, etc.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 7:11pm
My take on this whole baby name thing is; the more you ask ppl who don't know you or your family/style for their opinions, the more exasperated you will get. My DH thinks I'm a nut for using these boards because I end up getting my feelings hurt. I do agree with the first poster that had an unusual name; it made her unique name-wise, but feeling kinda left out of the loop. I love all the classic picks on your list; Ella is one I am seriously considering, and it is rising in popularity; but it isn't even on the top 100 for last year so I don't know why everyone keeps insisting that it is "super trendy." Madison, Hannah and Sophia are in the top 15 and have been there for a while; that is a trend. Not to say that Ella won't rise quickly/soon... I named my DD Ava 3 years ago and now it is #87 in my state; but I have NEVER met another. Yet, many ppl on the boards feel it is too trendy also. Grace is very popular and is in the top twenty for a FN and also a fave for MN; but it is lovely and sounds great with Ella, and is timeless. The more I think about what name to use and my concern with being unique, the more I ask myself how much it matters if I REALLY love a certain name. If you can picture your babies' darling face as Bronwen; then by all means go for it. Sorry for the ramble; I am due in 2 weeks and still haven't decided :(
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 7:05am
I do like one or two of your "non-traditional" names.....Sebastian and Bronte.

There are also some names on the "traditional" list that are not-so traditional to some people. When I hear the word traditional with naming-- I automatically think of Michael, Joseph, John, Nicholas...Nicole, Jennifer, Lauren, Ashley....you get the idea-- no offense to anyone with these names/or their child with these names-- just my opinion.

I love Gavin Michael and Carter Alexander. Tristan is nice, but i am not a fan of its meaning "sadness" if you didnt know that.

I also love of the girls names: Meredith Laurel and ever think of Brynn Clare?

Ella is pretty but gaining in popularity, as well as Olivia, Madelyn, and Sophia.

Here are some other names, maybe not so "traditional"/popular:

Girls: Addison, Aislinn, Bethany, Candace, Cadance, Cora, Colette, Daria, Delia,

Fiona, Greta, Iris, Josette, Kelsey, Kira, Lyndsay, Leanna, Lorena, Mallory, Melina,

Nola, Nadia, Paige, Raquel, Simone, Serena, Taryn, Valerie, Valentina.

Boys: Andre, Aaron, Bryce, Braeden, Chase, Carrington, Cameron, Callum, Dante, Damian, Derrick, Elijah, Frederick, Gage, Harris, Joaquin, Kelsey, Kyle, Lance, Logan, Nolan, Owen, Oscar, Richard, Reed, Riley, Rhys, Simon, Saul, Stefan, Teigue, Vance, Wesley.

Hope this helps! danielle

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 12:29pm
I love Ella Grace. I'm also very fond of Gavin Michael (that is the exact name of my 2 year old). I like unusual names ,too. Everyone around me thought I was crazy, so I settled for common but less used.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 1:05pm
I am SO fond of extremely classic or extremely unusual names. Maybe because I hate my name because it is common. I say you should go with your heartstrings and give the baby an unusual name.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 1:33pm
My honest opinion...

I would go with a name YOU love. Other people will not have to use that name everyday - they may only see your child every other day. I think that if you choose a name becsause OTHER peole like it, you might regret it later.

Maybe you could choose one of your "less outlandish" names like Bronte, Bronwen, Sebastian and Atticus. These are all lovely names!

Ideas: Bronte Persephone, Bronwen Arista, Arista Isis. Most of these names people will recognise.

Alternatively, maybe you can use an "acceptable" name with one of your fav. middle names.

e.g. Meredith Bronte, Ella Persephone and Trinity Acacia.

e.g Nicholas Sebastian, Carter Atticus, Sebastian Atticus.

Well, hope I've given you some ideas...Just being honest. I think you should go with what YOU like, not what other people like - after all, this is YOUR child, not theirs.

Good Luck,

Elaine

(P.S) Someone is bound to comment on or dislike the name you've chosen, not matter what type of name is it, therefore, seeing as you can't please everyone - please yourself) *SMILES*

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 5:28pm
I love Ella Grace.

As a teacher, I like unusual names, but make sure they are not too unusual and they are pronounced the way they are spelled.

I always feel so bad for kids who are constantly correcting people, but on the other hand I feel bad for the people trying to pronounce them.

I am due in Sept. and have no name ideas.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 7:11pm
What about a compromise??? Select a name that you love and see if there is a cute/ more normal nickname that you can derive from it. Example... Phaedra ( I really like this by the way).. could be a little Phae (Fay) or Adra??? By the way my DD's forst name is Brynn and we selected it because it is not popular, but I am seeing more people use it as a middle name. I am personally sick to death with all of the over-used names - Grace, Olivia, Emily... they are beautiful names, but it seems that every second girl has a way to common name.

Hope that this helps.

Carrie

Pages