Hey, new with a question... (m)

iVillage Member
Hey, new with a question... (m)
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 4:24pm
Hey, I am currently 3 months pregnant with my husband and my first child. I am multi lingual and my husband is bilingual. We would like to raise our kid French/English. He speaks Hatian Creole but can speak french fine, so there isn't really a discrepancy between the two of our french language capeablities. Well we're are just wondering a how to go about this. we want to get it all figured out before our child is born. We were thinking french at home and english out (as we live in an english speaking country), but we wanted any advice you guys can give on how to best teach our child. We're a bit worried about how well they'll be able to distinguish between the two as we tend to mix them. We need to stop that. Anyhow, just need suggestions.

Thanks

Courey
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 9:01am
welcome Courey! First off congratulations on your pregnancy! I am Yannie, mom to 4, French/English. Your idea of speaking French at home is good as you being surrounded by English, he/she will pick it up. I have a suggestion though, because creaole is so close to French, shy don't you speak French to your child and your husband speak Creole? I have a couple of friends that do that,and their kids do not mix it up, and they speak French/English/creole with absolutely no problems! Anyway, it is just a thought! Again, welcome, Yannie
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 7:25am
A late but warm welcome... hope you're still out there!

Congratulations on your pregnancy... I think as far as what languages to use, you have lots of options. French at home, English out would work fine. Or your DH could speak Creole and you could speak another language if you're comfortable enough in that language.

As far as mixing languages, I personally think that while it helps to be fairly consistent, it's not as critical as a lot of people think. Small brains seem to be designed to sort out languages, and it's amazing how little they get confused. There's always a little mixing of both grammar and vocabulary the first couple of years, but that sorts itself out as time goes by. Your child will pick up English whether you like it or not, if you're living in an English-speaking place, so I don't think you need to worry about making sure they get enough English--they will, when they start school, if not before.

Welcome to the board... it's been a little slow recently, but I think people are still getting used to the new format.

Heather S

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-27-2003 - 5:03am
No advice to add to what yannie and Heather S had to say, but just wanted to say welcome!

Leah, mom to DD's Sophia, 4 and Helena, 1 with English/German/Greek