On a positive note

iVillage Member
On a positive note
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 3:38am
I have begun homeschooling my 7 yr old daughter two months ago..and for those of you who don't know the whole story..I will condense it for you. Her first language is English. She was in Spanish immersion starting in kindergarten.(Two of her 4 brothers were also in immersion) Towards end of first we moved and she was placed in an all English school program. We tried very hard to maintain the Spanish reading and to have Daddy talk Spanish to her(I do to sometimes but the kids don't consider me a Spanish model and tend to answer me in English). She also has some friends she talks Spanish to sometimes. But I have noticed that she was loosing her ability to write in Spanish. That wasn't why I chose to homeschool her but because I homeschool her now we have the option through the program I do to do reading in both languages...and she can do other activities in Spanish as well. So I can throw it in whenever I want or she wants.

She has continued to read in Spanish since we started homeschooling like usual and though her reading is probably a little below grade level that doesn't bother me. We have also continued to participate in the Spanish storytime and activities (often songs/crafts) at the library that we were already doing. She even wrote a book report for me with simple sentences so I knew she could still write. But the other day it was even better than that. We were at the library bookstore and she found on her own a simple Spanish picture book for 25 cents. It had almost no words but I bought it anyway because I figured she wanted it why not? Well she took this book and a piece of paper and wrote her own writing assignment using it as a launching point for a paper..she isn't done yet..but its nice and its in Spanish like the book. Her grammar isn't perfect but her spelling is good. So we were suprised and pleased that she didn't forget all together even though she hasn't been writing. Even better she wanted to write in Spanish. So all our effort has been working. Even though she isn't completely fluent she is continuing to show continuing development. So I'm happy so little things don't bother me.

An example is when we went to the spanish book fair put on by the california association for billingual education and the other parents were confused when my 3rd grade son only spoke English (he refuses to speak spanish to me or strangers..in fact he doesn't speak much of anything to strangers) yet happily walked away with chapter books(he reads at at 4th grade level LOL). They acted like I was buying doorstops. What can I say I am the English model and Dad was working. The positive note is a year out of immersion and all 3 of my kids are still reading Spanish. They are still understanding it when their father is speaking to them. They understand the videos they watch ect. They are not all speaking it enough be we are trying to make it as friendly as possible and that little story about the duck looking for her duckling made my day ; ) and so did my 9 yr old begging for a Beverly Clearly book in Spanish so even if its not total fluency its progress its more than I could do at their age..and its definitely wonderful.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 8:57am
Juana, that is a good update! cleraly what you are doing is working good! I am so happy for you! Do you like homeschooling your daughter? and does she like being homeschooled? Have a nice day! Yannie
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 3:33am
Congratulations on all your success! Obviously, your hard work is paying off!!