Immigration question

iVillage Member
Immigration question
Mon, 02-11-2008 - 6:59pm
My boyfriend is from Mexico and we are about to have our first baby.
He is here illegally and I have tried to look up immigration online but it gets really confusing to me. He has applied for papers 4 years ago and so is currently in the process but I just want to know if there is anyone that I can talk to about the issue or any websites that aren't too confusing.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-11-2008 - 7:43pm

Here is the government offcial website for immigration: uscis.gov

USCIS stands for

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-11-2008 - 8:06pm

Me and my husband are in a similar situation. I came to a America on a Student visa, and became a naturalized citizen when I turned 18. My husband in from Honduras, and we married in his country when I was 15. Now he is here illegally, with me, and we're expecting our first child. It is hard, especially since the laws seem to differ for each person. I know my husband has been in jail for deportation twice in the past year, both times for driving without a license. The first time they let him go for "voluntary deportation". This was in New York, where generally the laws are more lenient (as they seem to be in

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-11-2008 - 9:45pm
I know he has gone to see a lawyer already and has had more than one. But he could call the number and see where his status is?

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-11-2008 - 9:57pm
So your husband has faced deportation twice? I think you are definately right when you say that it differs from place to place...I live in Alabama. Here, in the city I live, there are a lot of illegal immigrants who live here. If they get pulled over, the worst that I've heard is that the car gets impounded and they have to pay tickets for no license or insurance, etc. But I haven't heard of any having to go to jail except for real reasons. I can't believe that you or he have had to deal with that! How long has he been trying to get his legal status?

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2008 - 8:57am
Hi, Lane. I just wanted to welcome you to the board. I don't know anything about immigration, but it looks like you got lots of btdt advice from the other ladies. Good luck with your situation and congrats on expecting your first child.
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2008 - 9:12am

Well, in New York he got pulled over in Rochester, where they had a road block (asking for licenses & registrations). There they only kept him for 5 days. When he came back here to Charlotte, he got pulled over once for driving without a license, and he was in jail for 3 monthes awaiting deportation. I don't know, if charlotte "being under the bible belt" or maybe the laws are just becoming stricter, but it's scary here. He's been here for 3 years, but would have to return to his country to start working on his papers.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2008 - 11:11am
why would he have to return to his country to start the paper process? If you are a citizen and the two of you are married, can't the two of yall apply for his papers together? I never realized how difficult that all of this would be. And I wonder why he is having so many problems just a few states up when my boyfriend and his friends have really no big problems here? Its strange. BTW, When is your baby due?

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2008 - 11:57am

My baby's due in early October, I'm 6 weeks along now. ^_^ Basically we became married when I was still a German citizen. When I turned 18 I became a naturalized US citizen. I guess (not entirely positive on how the process works) that we would need to get remarried here in order for him to get his green card, or possibly start his naturalization papers. It's crazy here, I've seen an immigration bus here twice, close to where we live!

How far along are you? Have you ever been to Mexico, or want to go?

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2008 - 1:14pm

thanks for the welcome to the board! :-)

Im 7 months along..she's due in April! I don't think that you have to get married here to apply for his papers...you just have to be legally married and have the lisense. I have read up on the marriage thing and I believe that as long as one of you is legalized then he can apply for citizenship. It also helps that you are going to have a baby, too...from what I've heard from other people.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2008 - 3:07pm
i am from michigan and my husband has been here illegally from mexico

Pages