Learning a nonative language is hard

iVillage Member
Learning a nonative language is hard
Tue, 02-12-2008 - 9:12am

Hi! I'm new here. We're all from Mexico although I'm naturalized.

Jen

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2008 - 11:17am

Aww! How old is your oldest son? Do you practice portugese with him outside of his school? If he is not getting practice, it will be very difficult for him to learn..I have been trying to learn Spanish for about a year and a half or two years now and it is very difficult! Even though my boyfriend is from Mexico, we have become accustomed to speaking English so we don't speak Spanish very often with each other. So I'm trying to learn through his friends and school but I'm spending less time with his friends and only am taking one class so its difficult!

Your son, if he practices it, will learn it soon enough...the younger you are, the easier it is.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2008 - 12:51pm

Welcome to the board!

How old is your oldest? Could you find a Portuguese-speaking play group for him to work on his Portuguese? Is your oldest old enough that he could get help from a Portuguese grammar book? I'm sure living in Brazil that you should be able to get such a book easy enough from any book store.

I relate on the sentence structure thing. German is a bit different from English and then Japanese sentence structure is way different form English. I'm learning the German structure with not too much difficulty, but I don't get Japanese sentence structure at all.

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2008 - 2:32am
Hi! I just wanted to welcome you to the board!
Sophie

Bilingual Families

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2008 - 5:10am
My oldest is 9 (he's in 3rd grade), my daughter is 7 and my youngest will be 6 in 2 months. I don't speak portuguese, so I can't practice with him. At school because he's not doing too well he goes to the resource center (which he told me he hates) and he's with a tutor. We do hae e dictionary though, which he uses occasionally. Where we live he plays soccer sometimes with the neighborhood kids. He understands some of it and he speaks with them. There are times when they don't understand him. Two days ago when he went down to play with them he accidentally hit

Jen

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2008 - 5:31am
Thanks for the welcome. Sebastián is 9, Natalia is 7 and Zachary will be 6 in two months. S isn't in a play group because the boys in his class don't talk to him. So he doesn't talk to them either. He does play soccer below occasionally with some of the neihborhood kids though and he tries to speak their language. So he does get some practice in addition to being at the school's resource center. However it's difficult for him as he's used to speaking in spanish and english. Two days ago I had to go down and clear things up. He went down to the recreation area and while the kids were playing soccer he accidentally hit two of them. He apologized to them, but they thought he was making fun of them and they (how do you say se vengaron?) retaliated or something like that. I went down and spoke to them, explaining with the few portuguese words I learned that he meant to say sorry because they thought he was making fun of them. That cleared up later he went back down and played with them. We do have a portuguese dictionary which he uses from time to time at school. We haven't bought any phrase books because they're just the simple basic

Jen

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2008 - 7:55am

I wasn't actually thinking about a phrase book, but there's books that talk just about grammar. Like the book I use most with studying German is my German verb handbook, as German conjugates verbs based on the *person*.

Well at least you were able to explain to the children and get past that misunderstanding. Are there any structured activities he could go to? Like events at the local public library or maybe some scouting group?

Love and Light, Joelle

Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2008 - 3:07pm

Hi Joelle:

Actually dh and I were thinking of registering S & T in the cub and girl scouts respectively. The strangest thing is we found out that here in Brasil both groups are integrated. don't know how they'll react to that. DH got the web site, but we haven't been able to access it. I plan to call in a while to ask for it again. the only thing we know so far is that registration is next month. About the

Jen

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-14-2008 - 10:34am
well hopefully the scouting works to give him a chance to practice Portuguese in a supportive atmosphere. Good luck
Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle