My child mother tongue is spanish...

iVillage Member
My child mother tongue is spanish...
Thu, 02-21-2008 - 7:01pm

Hi, I'm new here. I am Mexican, so my son's mother tongue is Spanish. He is in a billingual school learning English. Any sites suggestions, etc?

Thanks in advnace,

Ale

Ale proud Mom to Sebastian

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-21-2008 - 9:04pm
Welcome to the board, Ale.
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-23-2008 - 5:54pm
I think that the most important thing is for your child to hear English constantly. I know children who only hear English in school and they are behind for a long time. It is important for you to speak some English to your child even it is only half of the time. Also he needs to practice writing in English (if he is at that age) and Maybe getting involved in an after school program as well, and watching television in English. I hope that helps!
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-24-2008 - 7:33am
Well if she's going to do OPOL and do the Spanish speaking, she wouldn't want to do any of the English speaking. However, she doesn't mention her dh/SO, so she might be planning that he would speak English. Also if she takes her child into the community, to activities and such, that would be a way to increase his English exposure beyond school hours. I've found with my ESL students that TV is not the first choice for language work because they can't interact with the speakers on the TV, like if they don't understand, can't ask for slower speech etc.
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-24-2008 - 9:03pm

Thanks for your answer.

Ale

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-24-2008 - 9:06pm

Thanks.

Ale

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-25-2008 - 8:17am
you're welcome
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle