Issue with a friend visting :(

iVillage Member
Issue with a friend visting :(
Sun, 03-02-2008 - 7:31pm
Ugh, I had my first uncomfortable situation with one of Finn's friends and bilingualism. The other day his friend Matthew (who is about 6 and being raised bilingual Chinese/English) was playing. I came into the room where they were watching tv and asked Finn in German if he was hungry. His response was "no and can I offer Matthew food". I then changed to English because the comment was about Matthew. Not more than a minute later, he *suddenly* had to wanted to go home. My partner pointed out that the boy just is very rude when I told him about the incident (he's right), but I can't seem to shake this feeling of guilt. Any thoughts?
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-03-2008 - 6:37pm

I can see how that would be uncomfortable.

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-04-2008 - 9:47am
The friend's mom barely speaks English so no I haven't tried to talk to her. He is young, like 6, but I'd think being raised bilingually himself that he'd understand a bit. No matter tho, he's already not welcome again because he acts all funny around my dog (jerking away and making loud, shrill noises at her that make her anxious). I'm finally at a point with it where I really don't feel bad. After all, none of Finn's friends at BSA or UU have acted funny over me using German in front of them and I haven't even talked to any of them about it.
Love and Light, Joelle

Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-05-2008 - 12:34am
Don't feel bad, Joelle :)

Bilingual Families

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-05-2008 - 8:20am

You know, I think the thing that got me was that I was thinking over sections of that bilingual parenting book that talked about how kids can get embarrassed over minority language use and that could make it difficult to keep up the minority language and such. Like my partner says, I was thinking too much lol

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle