How do you deal with 3 or more languages

iVillage Member
How do you deal with 3 or more languages
Wed, 03-12-2008 - 7:56am
For those who have 3 or more languages in your house, how do you deal with it? Obviously it needs something more than OPOL to make it work. Any btdt advice for people contemplating this type of situation?
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-12-2008 - 8:00am
With me being fluent only in English and helping Finn to learn German and Japanese, my situation is of course different from someone a family where both parents are fluent in a language other than the majority language. For some reason, I just continue having the this idea that "German time" and "Japanese time" need to be kept separate; I don't understand why since the two languages are so very different. Our box of curriculum supplies is set to arrive on Thursday. I'm leaning towards letting our additional things slide for a bit just so we can enjoy our new books, but I have this loose plan to start the day with German and end with Japanese.
Love and Light, Joelle

Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-12-2008 - 8:00am
We do both OPOL and ml@home. Dh speaks only German with the children, I speak only English with them and they go to a Swedish school. We've been very strict with the languages over the years...dh and I each stick to our own native languages and, other than homework and the occasional books, Swedish does not enter the home. The kids (now nearly 13 and 9) are fluent and literate in all three languages.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-12-2008 - 8:09am
it's great to hear a trilingual success story. I wish I could get very strict about German only with me, but I need to work harder on my fluency.
Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle