Helping dc past his embarrassment

iVillage Member
Helping dc past his embarrassment
Mon, 03-17-2008 - 8:18am

What can a parent do to get past a child's embarrassment at using a minority language?

With Finn, it don't have to struggle with this too much, except he's rather shy about speaking Japanese to anyone he knows to be a native speaker. German's a whole nother issue lol that I plan to post about separately :D

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-19-2008 - 8:00am

Probably because he is afraid of making mistakes. I had an adult private student for english who was shy about speaking, though she knew more than she thought. He needs more reassurance possibly from the native speaker that even people who speak japanese make mistakes in the language and just to try.

I tell my students that even Americans, since I am one, don't even speak English perfectly...Some of the Germans like to know the reason why for everything.

pregnancy

What my LMP says --^---

What my Doctor says

pregnancy calendar

Photobucket

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-19-2008 - 1:08pm

Well having lived in the US all his life and talking to a wide variety of people, he gets the idea that everyone doesn't speak English the same... I just can't get him to see that with German. Like I've explained how Till and my grandma wouldn't understand each other very well because of the different areas of Germany they came/come from.

I am trying to get him speaking more when he's just with me (less chance of embarrassment, I figure) because neither of us are fluent enough to have even a small conversation yet.

I think part of it with Japanese is largely that my ESL student was the first person (other than a cranky teacher who barely taught him anything) who spoke Japanese; before that it had mostly been movies, tv, music and such.

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.