How to get him to speak more German

iVillage Member
How to get him to speak more German
Mon, 03-17-2008 - 8:21am
I'm getting really frustrated with Finn and German. I wouldn't be surprised if testing found his passive vocabulary to be much larger than his active vocabulary, but I'm struggling to get him to use more than 3 or 4 German words with me. I've told him to use the German word with me if he knows it, but that's just not happening. I've debated not responding to English from him when I know he knows the German, except in emergency situations of course, but I worry if that could backfire since he's 9 and we've really just started seriously on the bilingualism journey this past year.
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-19-2008 - 7:57am
Maybe you can set up an hour called

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-19-2008 - 1:12pm

I've been trying to do that, but my German is still too far behind to do that. I'm slowly moving back up to about 50% of what I say to him is in German.

It was amusing the other day... I forget his exact words, but his comment amounted to "But Mom, I know you know English too and other kids don't have to use German." I took the moment to talk about other bilingual children living in America, but wasn't sure how to respond to the first part of his comment.

I almost feel like doing a German vocabulary test and keeping a card on me at all times of German words he knows lol.

I need to go looking for more German kids' movies; I've struggled with that... I don't want to buy a bunch of Disney movies or such translated into German, but the only other German movie I've gotten my hands on in the past was old fashioned cartoons (a mixture of folktales and some Grimms' stories) and Finn thought they were awful (ie old fashioned)

Love and Light, Joelle

Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-19-2008 - 9:07pm

I struggle with this too but between my boyfriend and I. When we met, I could only say a handful of Spanish words and he spoke fluent English so we spoke English. Now, I've taken tons of Spanish classes in college and have used it with all his friends and his brother etc. and at work so I can speak it, but really want to start being more fluent but we're so used to speaking English that we only speak spanish occasionaly, mostly spanglish. We've never held a conversation in Spanish.

Do you know any families that have children that speak German as well? I've noticed that kids will talk both languages to each other when they know both. Especially if they are about 50/50 with the languages. Thats all that I know of to suggest...sorry!

pregnancy week by week
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-20-2008 - 6:01am

I am trying to think of German childrens shows and such but most are dubbed...or at least Nick and Disney are here. You can try to look up Asterix and Obelix, they are popular here but I don't care for them. But in all honesty dubbed is mostly what you will find.

Here is amazon.de list of Kinder DVD's, maybe some of those are good.

http://www.amazon.de/b/ref=amb_link_19669565_1?ie=UTF8&node=146800011&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=browse&pf_rd_r=19T99VF9K6EHMVCY6J13&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=172697691&pf_rd_i=284266

Grimms tales are hard when you have grown up with our sugar coated fairy tales...I have a book myself and find them funny or strange. For my SO they are normal.

pregnancy

What my LMP says --^---

What my Doctor says

pregnancy calendar

Photobucket

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-20-2008 - 8:12am

Ack, that would be hard... with Spanish and English and the presense of spanglish

I know a few German speakers, but the only speaker in a family with kids isn't raising the children bilingually; the mother and father speak German, but I can't tell if the children even understand a word.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-20-2008 - 8:14am

Well these Grimms were pretty sugarcoated as well, although not as badly as the English versions.

Some of those videos look good, many are also on Amazon.com's "International Media" page; I go there alot.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-21-2008 - 6:10am
Ok good, I wasn't sure if they would be on Amazon.com. It was hard for me to find some German things in the US, but Spanish was easy. Though I wish I would of knew about the Spanish when I was studying it in school! I might actually remember a little of it!

pregnancy

What my LMP says --^---

What my Doctor says

pregnancy calendar

Photobucket

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-21-2008 - 8:29am

Have you ever been to the international media site? I love it! Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/entertainment/international

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-24-2008 - 11:59am

As an English speaker living in Germany, I have the opposite problem. My children are growing up in a German environment and I am the only one who speaks English with them (unless we are home in Canada visiting). I speak 100% English with my kids and this consistency is extremely important for them to become proficient in their "non-native" language. Even so, they respond mostly in German because that is their dominant language and they know that I understand and speak German as well. However, I know that they comprehend everything and when we are back in Canada where no one else speaks German, they make the switch and do just fine with their English (and it's also great practice for them).

I think that unless you are able to speak more German more consistently with your son, you will have a difficult time

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-24-2008 - 2:49pm
thanks for your thoughts. my son is slowly getting better. I need to see about getting Rosetta Stone German to get both of us back in practice. I've also been reaching out to the other German speakers in my UU fellowship :)
Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle

Pages