Newbie!

iVillage Member
Newbie!
Fri, 03-28-2008 - 10:21pm

Hey!

So, I'm 7 months pregnant with my first child. I already plan on teaching him sign language, but I just recently got the idea to teach him Spanish as well. I'm single, but my child with be half caucasion and half Puerto Rican (from his father). I really want to teach my son Spanish because I don't want him to feel like because his father isn't in his life that he has no Hispanic background... does that make sense? Plus, I live in Texas so Spanish is a GREAT thing to know.

Its kinda funny because I already know more Spanish than my child's father. I took four years of advanced Spanish in high school (which wasn't long ago), but I really don't know all that much. We basically just learned to read/write and not to actually speak, so my pronouncation (spelling?) is really weak. And I know that I'll have to re-learn alot of other stuff as well.

I have one question... How can I get better at pronouncation when I've got no one to teach me anymore? Anyone know of any good websites to help?

Danielle!

FTM to Malachi Eric

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: finding_happiness
Sat, 03-29-2008 - 7:35am

Welcome to the board, Danielle. I can understand your desire for Spanish; I'm only the second generation of my father's family to live in the US, but with my dad's generation, the family language of German was almost completely lost.

Now I see that you're studied Spanish; would you be willing to work on your Spanish so you could become fluent and that could be your home language? While non-native speakers aren't generally recommended for teaching the language in bilingual parenting strategies, it is being done more and there have been so books. Also I'm doing non-native German with my son and he is learning quite a bit... so it can be done.

Of course living in Texas, your ds will get ample amounts of Spanish. Would it be possible for you to get him into a bilingual school once he's school age?

I can't recommend any Spanish websites, but if you look in the resources folder you should find some recommendations. Plus there are other Spanish speakers on the board who will no doubt pipe in with some :). As far as getting better pronuncation, I always recommend Rosetta Stone. It is rather pricy, but imho it is so worth it. You can get a free demo from them at their site www.rosettastone.com plus I just found a website that sells used copies of RS at a much cheaper price www.foreignlanguagestudy.com . If you're interested in RS, you'll want to make sure to get the Spanish (Mexico) version.

Have you started looking into baby signing books or are you going to just use ASL?

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2008 - 5:12pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean by making Spanish my 'home' language? Like, speaking just Spanish at home?

And I'm planning on using ASL.

Danielle!

FTM to Malachi Eric

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2008 - 9:07am
yes, just using Spanish at home, in your case. In bilingual parenting styles, it's referred to as "Minority language at home"
Love and Light, Joelle

Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2008 - 2:17pm

Hm, I'm not really sure that I remember enough to use it that often. Most of what I do remember are grammer rules, rather than words. However, I've decided to enroll in a class at a local community college called "Spanish Conversation" so that should help a lot.

If you do use just the other language at home, how would the child learn English, especially when I'm planning on starting super early? I wouldn't want to just expose him to Spanish when I'd be the one teaching him both languages, kwim? I'm just kinda confused, can you tell me how it works?

Thanks for being super helpful!

Danielle!

FTM to Malachi Eric

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2008 - 9:04am
You don't plan to keep your son in the house without seeing people at all, do you? Well then going out to stores, playing with kids in the neighborhood, etc he's going to interact with people speaking in English at some time.
I relate when you say how little you know. I'm actually learning German. I'm *a few steps* in front of my son. When I speak to him, about 20% (or 40% on a good day) is in German. This might not be considered the ideal situation for bilingual parenting, but to me, it's far better than him remaining monolingual. The conversational Spanish class is a good start. There's also plenty of different computer/cd-rom/video programs that help. Have you ever looked at Muzzy software? BBC puts it out. I never tried it because my son was already 6 before we seriously started studying German, but starting out with a child who's being raised bilingual might enjoy it. Muzzy is done in a cartoon fashion. www.early-advantage.com
here's a link to an article about "minority language at home" for you http://www.bilingualbaby.eu/methods/minority-language-at-home . However remember that for any *musts* in the article, there are people who disagree. Personally, I have a tendency to dislike and distrust anything a *so-called* "expert" has to say; I'm a devout homeschooler lol and imho, a teaching degree means little to nothing.
Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2008 - 6:49pm

Welcome to the Board!

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2008 - 9:39pm
hi im a lurker and although i dont have any websites i agree with the pp about playgroups and daycare my dh is mexican and we speak both english and spanish in our home and half the spanish i learned in school did not teach me anything everytime i would say something to him in spanish he would look at me like i was stupid but thankfully i can understand every word he says i think the pp also said something about tv alot of movies have spanish audio too i know that alot of hispanic children learn how to speak english watching cartoons in english i hope this helps

Jessica

Made by Katrina

I LOVE MY DAUGHTERS

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Jessica

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2008 - 9:43am

Welcome out of lurkdom, Jessice :) thanks for sharing your experience with English and Spanish with the OP

Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle