QOTW- What style of bilingual parenting

iVillage Member
QOTW- What style of bilingual parenting
Tue, 04-01-2008 - 7:59am
do you follow? And please explain how it works in your house (ie, "We do OPOL with me speaking only Flemish and my husband speaking only Japanese to the kids and they get German at school and in the community") Can you also please share why you chose that strategy
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2008 - 8:04am
We're "heading to OPOL". I'm unfortunately not fluent in German and while I'm waiting for us to be able to buy Rosetta Stone (we were using it for free through the library for awhile and loved it), I'm doing what I can with a mixture of online German tv, German movies/music, and just saying what I know in German to my son. I'm up to about 30% of what I say to him is in German. Once I am fluent, I will speak only in German to him and my partner will continue in English. I'm not sure what we'll do about Japanese; my son really wants to learn it but all I can do for the language is to provide him the materials, maybe a tutor, and until I manage to buy Rosetta Stone, I'm not having much luck except on getting him to learn the hiragana & katakana.
Because we live in the US and not in a heavily German influenced area, I'm his main interaction with German so I want to do OPOL to increase how much German he gets.
Love and Light, Joelle

Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2008 - 4:48pm
We are doing OPOL with DH speaking Spanish and me speaking English.

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2008 - 9:32am
So you're going to learn Swedish with the kids? Have you looked into software/programs etc to add to what your mom is able to do? Of course you know my vote is for Rosetta Stone lol.
Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2008 - 11:07am
I haven't really looked into any programs yet (plus I don't have the money right now).

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2008 - 9:51am
that's great that you have Swedish classes available locally. and getting your mom to just do a few phrases a time will be great too :) good luck
Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2008 - 6:34am

We live in the Netherlands. My husband and I speak Spanish as a family language;

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2008 - 8:51am
Good luck with the transition to you speaking English; I totally see why you want to do it. Yes English might be the global language, but that doesn't guarantee your children will be exposed to it. Has your dh said exactly why he's not happy with the idea? My partner, a monolingual English speaker, has made comments about being worried that he wouldn't be able to watch TV with my ds and me (I'm learning German with him and we're heading towards OPOL), although he hasn't said anything as general as feeling left out. But then I'm not fluent so I speak a hodge podge of English and German to my son.
That'll be great that your children will still be able to speak to their grandparents; mine and my son's German learning has slowly been encouraging my paternal grandmother to start using her German again; she didn't learn a word of English until she went to public school, but by my dad's generation, most of the kids had totally lost German.
Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2008 - 1:48pm

My husband is not happy with the idea of my not speaking English to my children right off the bat...don't know if I made that clear. I'm the one who fills strongly that they will master English in no time.

You're totally right about the global language, but we live in Amsterdam. EVERYONE speaks such fluent English, and of course we have mostly expat friends where the common language is English. All movies are in English (no dubbing in official language like other countries), music is in English and while I still am not totally convinced (my husband is!), it's likely we'll send our children to an international school, where the main language is always English.So I'm not worried about exposure to English at all. Plus, we visit the states twice a year....

Now if we lived in another country (say Spain or Italy), I would absolutely start English the day we landed. As long as we live in the Netherlands, it won't be a problem.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2008 - 7:01am
ah I did miss that about why he's unhappy about you not starting English right away. I think your reasoning does make perfect sense. While I'm not working towards trilingualism with my son in the same way as you, I believe I've heard other people wait to introduce the third language.
Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle