Hello from a newbie!

iVillage Member
Hello from a newbie!
Fri, 04-18-2008 - 10:04am

Hi everyone, I've just found this board (been reading a few topics) and I thought it

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2008 - 7:11am
Welcome to the board, Margarida. Your daughter is adorable. That's great that you're starting to see results; that can be so hard to wait to see. It always astounds me when I hear my son singing along with a German band and how spot on his pronunciation is; we're homeschoolers, learning German together and my son is learning Japanese on is own. Congrats on making it work with bilingualism as a single parent; that's not heard of as much as two parents making bilingualism.
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2008 - 3:03pm

Thanks for the warm welcome :) How cool that you're learning German! I only know a few words, but if I had the time and the money I'd definitely learn it (or try to). Japanese is great too, a couple of years ago I was on a Japanese spree and even learnt hiragana and katakana, and a few (really very few) kanji. Sentence structure is complicated, though, what with all those particles... Ni, na, wo, wa... I get a headache just from thinking about it! No is the exception, since it's the easy one.

I say I think I am getting results because whenever Leonor refers to food it's always "foo", and nothing resembling "comida" (food in Portuguese). Ball is "baw", though I'm not sure about that one since ball is "bola", said baw-la. Anyway, the other day we went out and she saw a dog and pointed at it whilst saying "Do" over and over again, and dog is nothing like "cão" (dog). So yeah, it seems to me we're making some progress :D

Photobucket
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2008 - 4:07pm
Well on my dad's side of the family, I'm only the second generation to be born in the US; my grandma only spoke German until she got into public school.
Japanese is totally my son's choice. He loves anime, geisha, technology, everything he can find out about Japanese culture. I agree, I don't all the particles. I can pick out nouns sometimes when listening to his materials while he works on them.
hm that would be difficult on the words that are the same or similar in English and Portuguese. Progress sure is good though
and you're welcome. I do so love this board; as someone who is avidly working to be bilingual, I find the English preference in the US makes me claustrophobic at times
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-20-2008 - 9:35pm
Welcome to the board!

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2008 - 6:50pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! Trilingual really must be a lot of work! I don't plan on giving up, although I admit it's hard sometimes, especially when everybody seems to criticise you (and I know I'm only in the early stages).

Your children are lovely too, they look so happy in those pictures :)

Photobucket
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2008 - 4:24am

Hi! I'm a bit late (been busy at work and just logged in here), but welcome to the board! Your girl looks lovely!

I'm Sophie and live in California. Both my husband and I were raised learning Chinese and French, but we mostly speak English nowadays (or a mix of everything). We have no kids at the moment.

Glad to have you around!
Sophie

Bilingual Families