Non-English email pals?

iVillage Member
Non-English email pals?
Mon, 04-21-2008 - 8:55am

Well I asked the *powers that be* if we could have threads just in non-English languages and was told no because that would leave people out. However, I was wondering if people would like to match themselves up with email pals. We could post the language(s) we're interested in emailing in. If we did it through our profiles, we'd only share our email addresses with the people we want, not everyone who reads the board.

I'd want to an email pal in German. My German isn't so good yet though, so I'd type my message first in German and then in English, just to make sure I'm understood until my German is better.

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2008 - 6:56pm
Would it be amongst the members/readers of this board only? If so, I'd like a French-speaking email pal, because I know I could really use some practise (who knows, maybe in a few years I'll try the trilingual approach... in the mean time, I need to brush up my French skills lol).
Photobucket
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 7:09am
well it wouldn't be specifically limited to members of this board, but they'd need to come here and be members of iVillage to use the "emailing through the profile" approach.
There are certainly others on this board who are fluent in French so hopefully someone emails you soon :)
Love and Light, Joelle

Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2008 - 4:33am

Bummer... Although I can understand, in a way, what they're afraid of.

Bilingual Families

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2008 - 4:41am

Hi Margarida,

Feel free to email me, although I'm afraid to be a boring person! ^^ I can only check/respond to my emails in the evening here (day time at your place) and I might not be able to type any accents due to my keyboard though.

Also, if you're interested in practicing reading French and like blogs, let me know. I can suggest some :)

Sophie

Bilingual Families

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2008 - 6:12am

I so hope this works for you and Margarida. Yeah, I understand iVillage's concern, but it doesn't mean I'm not frustrated. Of course, I didn't point out how we tend to already share non-English things, usually with an English translations, but I have a feeling that wouldn't matter.

I just finished reading "Hold your tongue: bilingualism and the politics of 'English Only'" and

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2008 - 7:52am

I just finished reading "Hold your tongue: bilingualism and the politics of 'English Only'" and

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2008 - 9:09am

I so relate; English might be considered "lingua franca" (I believe the phrase is), but I don't feel that gives English speakers the right to expect *everyone* to speak it. ugh, I always wonder when people say that one country "everyone speaks English there", what do they mean? I could say "I speak German", but doesn't mean I speak it fluently.

danke schon fur the phrase. (grr I wish I knew how to make umlauts on this laptop, alt codes don't seem to work) That makes perfect sense, ich komme gleich weider. One of my favorite Rammstein songs has the line "Ich komme weider". It's usually translated as "I come again"... I don't know why I didn't put 2 and 2 together lol

Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-26-2008 - 3:50am

If you can't do an umlaut put an 'e' after the letter that has the umlaut because schon has a different meaning than schön...so make it schoen to keep the meaning. :) and the sound.

I say I speak Denglish, so do my students. Actually I understand much more by listening and reading but I can't speak it very well. I can translate it but I can put the words into correct form in German.

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-26-2008 - 3:44pm
normally I just do the e after the umlauted vowel
lol Denglish
Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle