3000 words to start??

iVillage Member
3000 words to start??
Mon, 05-19-2008 - 7:34am

I was over at bilingualbaby.eu and I read their article on OPOL; I was reminded of why my periods of absorbing books/articles about bilingual parenting normally end in irritation and me just doing what I've been doing, ie helping Finn to learn German with whatever materials and activities I can.

http://bilingualbaby.eu/methods/opol/
"

One Parent One Language in Intentional Bilingual Education

There are many families where one parent (or both parents) speaks a second language. Either this parent is bilingual himself, or he speaks his second, "foreign" language very well. Such parent can use his second language with his child. If he uses the second language consistently, at all times, the child will learn both languages equally well. If he uses it somewhat inconsistently but there are other forms of support for the second language, the child may also learn both languages equally well. This situation is called intentional bilingualism, or artificial bilingualism.

The parent who speaks his/her second language to the baby should meet some minimum requirements."

"

I want to bring up my kid in my second language. But I am not sure whether I know my second language well enough. Is my knowledge of the foreign language sufficient? Is my knowledge of the foreign language sufficient?

A difficult question indeed. Define what is a good knowledge. It depends on your own self-confidence. Some people say "I speak a little French" and they are perfect French speakers. They lack self-confidence.

I estimate that you may start intentional bilingual education of your baby if:

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 8:41pm

I think the knowledge and understand that there are different languages out there and not everyone speaks the same language as you will help a kid a long way in the beginning stages of life. If you can teach a kid some language (while younger), even if you aren't fluent in it yourself, they will have even more of a benefit than if

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-29-2008 - 9:33am
Even with having started with German at 6 with Finn, I still struggle with his awareness... mostly getting him not to call English "normal language"
But yeah, anything is better than nothing. And Finn gets quite a bit of joy understanding that I may not always be correct and he could read or hear something and get to correct my German
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.