Roll Call: Languages, parenting strategy

iVillage Member
Roll Call: Languages, parenting strategy
Mon, 06-02-2008 - 7:54am
I don't remember the last time we had a roll call *blushes* so here we are. Lurkers, please speak up too.
What languages are used in your home?
What bilingual parenting strategy, if any, do you use?
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-02-2008 - 7:58am
I'm Joelle, the cl, and homeschooling mom to my 9 year old son.
We have English, German, and Japanese in our house. I'm actively learning German with and before my son. He's learning Japanese and I'm picking up a little. English is my mother language.
I say we're "working towards OPOL". I try to say as much as I can in German, but the correct German word or grammar doesn't always come to me when I need it so I speak a pidgin mix of English (with a midwestern US accent) and German (with an East German accent)
Love and Light, Joelle

Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2008 - 2:53pm
We speak English and Portuguese. I stay home with my daughter and newborn, my husband travels to work. I speak Portuguese to her all the time and since he's gone good part of the month Portuguese is actually her first language. He speaks English to her and she speaks it really well now. She's 4. She speaks Portuguese to me and to my friends that speak Portuguese and English to everybody else. She's so good at switching and translating.
Lucy
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2008 - 4:26pm
I'm Sarah, mom to Janessa (10) and Julian (4).

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-04-2008 - 7:56pm
Strictly OPOL, I ONLY speak Spanish to my son since he was born. my husband speaks Norwegian to my son. Me and my husband speak to each other in English. We have a lot of outside activities like gymboree and story time where he hears English, as well as TV. He is still young, but he kind of tunes out when he hears English cause he knows I am not talking to him.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2008 - 8:02am
Thanks for sharing, Lucy.
It always confuses me that so many people think a child won't be able to keep his/her languages straight growing up bilingual. I've heard about so many children who did it well, starting at about 3 or so. Me, I constantly mix up my languages, but then I'm just learning German
Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2008 - 8:04am
Hey Sarah. I forgot that you do English and your dh Spanish. Of course, having the ILs in the building must help. I'm still working on my grandma to speak German more confidently to Finn
Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2008 - 8:06am
How interesting that he tunes out English. Does he seem to be picking up, at least in understanding, both Norwegian and Spanish? And which type of Norwegian (from what you explained in the "how do you say *milk* thread) does your husband speak?
Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2008 - 1:04pm

haha, yeah I think he thinks Im talking to daddy. I tried to other day to talk to him in english, which I had never done, he just kept shaking his head no, didnt like it. I guess hes still young. He definitely understands Spanish and Norwegian, though he has certain words he likes to use, if someone says "bil (car in norwegian)" he repeats back "carr(0)" (his version of Spanish car)", but for eye he prefers "øye" to "ojo". He seems to pick out ONE language for each word, LOL.

And its Oslo English bokmål for him. Nynorsk is really the minority language.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2008 - 8:23pm
I've heard that's common, preferring a word for something in one language. Unfortunately, I didn't get really started with German until my son was 6yrs, so I don't have the "from birth" experience. But my son is starting to dislike hearing English from me; I have the tendency to slip into all English when I'm angry.
That seems quite common, children disliking a parent speaking a language that they don't normally.
Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-08-2008 - 5:10am

My name is Amber, and I have a little girl on the way. We currently speak English together with a mixture of German. With his family it is only German, or my Denglish. My family it is only English. We spend more time with his family so our little girl will be learning German first, this needs to be her first language for school later and the fact we are living in Germany. As I am not fluent

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker

Pages