German game question

iVillage Member
German game question
Thu, 06-19-2008 - 8:58am
Well I started working on Finn's first game on "Make Your Own-Opoly". I'd decided the first one will be "Deutschland-Opoly" because I want him to have a German game we can play over the summer so we can have at least one thing to do with German that isn't academic. I've already run into a few phrases I didn't know in German, that I couldn't figure out how to translate on my own. So I've started from Babelfish online translation a few time, checking in my German to English dictionary to see if their suggestion made sense. The first thing I've run into is that the website only gives the "Sie" verb conjugation. This got me to thinking: someone that you're playing a game with (in this instance Finn and I) would probably be a "du" relationship so isn't it odd to use the "Sie" conjugation in this game. So far, it's an issue in places like "Collect $100", which I've gone with the Babelfish suggestion of "Sammeln Sie $100".
Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 9yr old hydrogen molecule.

Do you homeschool??? Please join me in chat!
Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Follow me to these boards:
Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2008 - 3:59pm

Yeah, I'd use the "du"-form for the game, formal sounds odd. In your case, that would be "sammle". Although, in the context of the game, I wouldn't use "sammeln" at all, but use "abholen" instead (in the du-form, that's "hole 100$ ab")

By the way, a good dictionary is at http://dict.leo.org/

cheers

Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2008 - 4:33pm
danke for the help; I used to go to that site all the time, but lost the bookmark through computer issues
Yes, "sammeln" didn't feel right, or the Sie form. I did notice several other words under "collect"s dictionary entry, but of course babelfish went with the first in its memory

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-04-2008 - 5:02am
I have one self study language book that gives no 'du' form which makes me quite mad. I need all the forms and not for one to be left out. I need the du form for my family and such, I know the Sie is important but the du is needed.....books...ugh...
pregnancy calendar

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-04-2008 - 4:05pm
ugh that would be frustrating. no "du" form. I try always to use that form with Finn, since a native speaker would be more likely to use that with a family member than Sie :D
Love and Light, Joelle

Sunday night from 9-11pm EST in the Homeschooling Chatroom or join PST people from 9-11pm PST.

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2008 - 7:35am

Yea, that is my point. It is the usage I use with my family and such. I do use the Sie form of course when out and such but I use the du so much more and it is not in the buch. It kills me sometimes. I guess that is why I don't use the books much to my DH unhappiness, I just don't like the way some things are presented in the books. Some of the forms and some of the dialect. One books prefers southern words and somethings native to Bavaria or Austria, doesn't help me much. I need something based on general german or a Berliner dialect.

Ehhh books...

pregnancy calendar

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2008 - 9:57am

ack that would be hard dealing with a book that prefered one region over another. Being in the US, most of what I get my hands on is Hochdeutsch, so it's not generally a worry for me. I eventually do need to find some book in the Bayerish dialect, help Finn and I with talking to my grandma

hehe, you slipped and typed "buch". Sometimes I worry about my novel writing... I most often write in English while listening to Rammstein. Then my beta reader is bilingual French and English and I catch her codeswitching between the two sometimes

Love and Light, Joelle

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2008 - 1:29am
Ha ha I did write buch. I was on the phone with my Grandmother some months ago talking about my pregnancy and could not for the life of me remember what the fluid the baby was in. I keep going fruchtwasser, no no no that is German. Finally I remember amniocentisis which reminded me of amniotic fluid...ok this doesn't happen often but it was pretty strange to forget the word in German. I guess since my whole pregnancy has been dealt with in German I forget or have trouble with the English Equivilants.
pregnancy calendar

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2008 - 7:02am
yup that does happen. Finn has trouble talking about much "school" stuff. Sometimes he even forgets the word "school"... I tend to use "academics" when speaking in English, or "Sonlight", using the name of our main curriculum provider. I haven't really settled on a German word, although I do tend to default to "Schule" because I don't know what "academics" is in German.. well without looking it up and I prefer to learn a new German word myself and then teach it to Finn. Though I certainly don't avoid him ever seeing me go into my German/English dictionary; it's been quite the bonding thing for him to realize that, while I know more German than him, I'm still learning too
Love and Light, Joelle

medsassistance.gif Medicine Assistance picture by HealthAccount

Photobucket

Homeschooling

Love and Light, Joelle