Worry about update mL language?

iVillage Member
Worry about update mL language?
Tue, 01-06-2009 - 8:06am
Okay hopefully this'll be the last "bilingual parenting"-inspired book question for awhile :D but do any of you who speak the minority language in your family, whether as a native or non-native speaker, do you ever worry about your language, vocabulary being current? Correct? As I was working with Rosetta Stone this morning, I realized that the only verb form I'm 100% comfortable with in German in present tense. I'm about half certain I can figure out the correct past and future tenses in many cases, but with all the verb tenses German has (more than English), I'm really nervous I'm not using the right one.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 2:09am
Even though DH is fluent in Spanish and lived in Mexico for 8 years

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 9:04am
well you mention "el agua" but could it be more a difference between Castillian (sp) Spanish and Latin American Spanish?
But you just deal with things like verb tenses and such casually? Do you try to correct it every time you hear a mistake?

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 12:29pm

Russian is not like that. Grammar and pronunciation doesn't change much. However, I know that I have an accent by now, and I also tend to insert English words or use English constructs even when I speak Russian. I am also completely rusty about culture, since I don't read Russian newspapers or watch Russian TV. My relatives who live in Israel are a lot more current on what's "in" than me.

My DH is the same. He speaks gramatically correct German, but he is not current on culture. He gets books and movies for Anna that he liked as a child, therefore she will definitely not have the same cultural references as her German cousins.

Natalie-10-2-2008.gif picture by MightyMouseAnna

<

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 4:01pm
I don't correct the kids every time they make a mistake with verb tenses.

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 4:15pm
how much does German tend to evolve as a language, do you know? I know I'm learning German in quite a different way and that's going to influence my son's German. As it is, we're both developing heavy North German accents, what Amber tells me is called Meck Vorpom (hope I'm spelling that right lol)

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-07-2009 - 4:16pm
I try really hard to do that responding to his mistake with a sentence that points to the correct thing without making it a direct connection.
lol yeah... noticing mistakes more because you're still learning. that makes sense

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle