Joelle...

iVillage Member
Joelle...
Fri, 01-16-2009 - 10:01am

I haven't been here for a while, but I noticed that you finally ordered the Rosetta Stone.

-Pam

iVillage Member
In reply to: txmap
Sat, 01-17-2009 - 1:43pm
I have used Rosetta Stone and I think it is a great program.

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-17-2009 - 1:54pm

Can anybody give me any details on how the programme actually works? Like what kind of resources it provides, what learning styles it caters too, anything like that. I'm trying to work out if it would work for me.

Rose, loved for life by Meghan and mama to Michael Lloyd (24th May 2005), Ella Morghan (5th Jan 2008) and Jolie Bryna (12th May 2010). Co-parenting with André and René.
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-19-2009 - 8:24am
I'm still waiting, Pam. I got it from foreignlanguagestudy.org and as far as I can tell, you have to wait until they actually have the set you ordered in stock; they resell pre-owned. But I've gotten to use the demo, online for free through my library for awhile, then a free trial of the homeschool edition of version 3. I've been long of the opinion that it's worth the money, even the 99 at that site; we just didn't have the money to buy it. I'm still waiting on us to be able to afford the Japanese set, at least level 1, for my son, but that one isn't available at that site and irregularly shows up on ebay.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-19-2009 - 8:29am
Well speaking from version 2, which is what I'm more familiar with, it's based on a formula that they have trademarked as "Dynamic Immersion." You see pictures and hear native speakers, both male and female, say the word in the target language. Only the menus are done in English; everything else is in the target language. You can choose a guided exercise, to preview the words, focus on reading/writing/listening or a mixture of, if you have a PC mic you can have your speech compared against the native speaker (I wasn't too thrilled with this, but think it might have been my cheap mic... I couldn't get 100% even on American English and that's my first language lol).
Version 3, I can't talk about so much because I just had a 7 day trial. It has some more bells and whistles beyond version 2. If you don't plan to buy it used from ebay or the place I did, you'll need to get their demo (which is probably version 3 by this point) and try it out to see what you think. In that week my family was trying version 3, we found we liked it okay for German, but it absolutely frustrated my son on Japanese so we plan to buy version 2 in Japanese as well.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-19-2009 - 10:44am

It sounds really good. I did manage to get the demo to work after several attempts and it looks really good!

It's a bit beyond my budget right now, but I might see if I can find it used somewhere.

Rose, loved for life by Meghan and mama to Michael Lloyd (24/05/2005) and Ella Morghan (05/01/2008). Hoping to conceive Tomas Luca or Carys Bryn

Rose, loved for life by Meghan and mama to Michael Lloyd (24th May 2005), Ella Morghan (5th Jan 2008) and Jolie Bryna (12th May 2010). Co-parenting with André and René.
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-19-2009 - 11:30am
Also consider that you can get online memberships from Rosetta Stone. They're short term, like a few months or so at a time. That might fit into your budget.
that's great you got the demo to work

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-19-2009 - 11:34am

I looked at those, but the shortest is for 6 months which is only £8 cheaper than the CD so it's not really worth it

I'm just going to have to save up *sigh*

Rose, loved for life by Meghan and mama to Michael Lloyd (24/05/2005) and Ella Morghan (05/01/2008). Hoping to conceive Tomas Luca or Carys Bryn

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-19-2009 - 11:49am
ah I couldn't remember the prices, just that I'd decided it wasn't worth it for my family either, that we'd save up for when we could afford it.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle