hello

iVillage Member
hello
Mon, 02-02-2009 - 4:29am

I probably introduced myself several months ago, and then fell away. I'm not sure, to be honest! I've already been posting again, but I thought I'd do a quick intro anyway.

I'm American, my husband is Danish, and we live in Denmark. Our daughter will be five months old on the 10th. Her name is Dagmar Lee, but I usually call her D.L., partly because "Dagmar" is pronounced differently in our two languages. Everyone can say D.L. but some Americans have a hard time with the Danish Dagmar. ;)

I've been in Denmark since July 2007, and I have finally gotten signed up for Danish lessons. They are paid for by the state, and required for permanent residency. I've picked up some while living here, but I'm very excited about the classes! My in-laws' English is not so great, and I'm tired of always asking DH to translate everything.

In high school and college, I studied (but am no where near fluent in) German, French, Latin, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Arabic, and Finnish. You'll notice no Danish! I am hoping D.L. will get exposed to more languages, but for now we basically do English and home and Danish while out. Her babbling has not picked sides yet. ;)

Oh, and if anyone would like a blinkie, let me know.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: lorryfach
Mon, 02-02-2009 - 7:35am

Welcome back to the board then!!!
Your story is a little similar except change the country and natiionality to German! With the name thing it is the same with Magdalena, I hate the way the Americans pronouce it compared to Europeans. We call her Maggie anyhow, but then that is hard for the Germans, lol.
I have been in Germany since May 2007...:) I am working towards permanent residency, right now I am on a 2 year visa, first one was a year then we married and this one is 2 years. I think after I get the permanent. Not sure if I have to take any language classes. It all depends on my skill when I talk to them. I can understand more than I can speak. :).

My DH hates translating everything from the ILs...he just tells me to learn more German if I want to understand. Hard to do now with a 5 month old.

Blinkies are always good!!! I think some want some. It was in an earlier topic when I took over the board but then I was without DSL for over a month after we moved to another flat.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-02-2009 - 8:28am

That is cool that our stories are so similar! And funny enough, Magdalena/Maggie is next up on our girl list, should we gave a second one! It has exactly the same issue as Dagmar, too. In Danish, the g there sounds like a u, so it's like how Daumar or Maudalena would sound in German. It's not so easy to explain to Americans who aren't familiar with German though. I swear we weren't trying to be difficult when we named her! lol

Technically I don'thave to take classes but I have to pass a language test. Since the classes are free, it seems sensible. I found a place that does it mostly online so I'll only have to go in every other Saturday, and I get to stay home with D.L. the rest of the time.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-02-2009 - 1:17pm
Welcome back, Lorry!

cmsig-1.jpg picture by trpittser

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-03-2009 - 4:26am

:)
The name thing can be a pain. My MIL and her DH wanted to call her Lena but they now have settled with Maggie. I guess for my it is the short 'a' sound that I don't like when they prnouce it. When they say her name it makes me think of the Mag light flashlight...I didn't know that about the G sound in Danish. I learn something new every day. It is hard to explain the vowels, lol....We don't make it difficult we just choose the names we love!!!

So you have to take a language test? I don't think I have to, if I demostrate enough skills when I meet with the people for my visa I think that is sufficient enough. Good luck with that.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-03-2009 - 6:17pm
Welcome to the board!

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-04-2009 - 11:56pm