If you had the money (or the time)....

iVillage Member
If you had the money (or the time)....
Thu, 02-05-2009 - 11:45am

what is your dream to help you (or your family) become bilingual?

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-06-2009 - 4:27am
I had the money, I would work on getting myself bilingual. I would take courses at a place where I know for sure I will learn the language. (I use to teach english there). As for my family the only one who is important is my DD. I would really like to be fluent in German but it is hard without classes as I have absolutely no disipline to learn on my own.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-06-2009 - 5:57am

I'm already signed up for Danish lessons, though I haven't heard from the school yet so I'm not sure when I start. Other than that, I don't think I have to do much, since I'm already in a country where both languages are spoken frequently.

I do hope to have the opportunity to learn/teach a third language, and preferably a non-Germanic one. It would be awesome to have, for example, a summer home in Spain, so we get semi-regular, real life exposure. (I've never been to Spain, so I'm saying "awesome" purely on the basis on the language, and not because I have any idea how awesome it would actually be to have a summer home there! lol)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-07-2009 - 1:48am
I would really like to send Lahav to an English-speaking private nursery school and kindergarten.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-07-2009 - 2:48am

If we had the money (or the time - and children...), I'd have loved to :

- enroll them in French schools. This would allow them to learn both French and English. And the French educational program is, in our opinion, much better (up to end of highschool).

- go regularly overseas on vacation

- go visit relatives overseas or have our parents live closer (well... not too, too close...)

- buy lots of non-US books, CDs and DVDs online. They can be quite expensive, especially their shipping cost!

Too bad all of the above aren't realistically possible, as they costs soooo much!

"Photo courtesy Photos8.com"