Hola de España

iVillage Member
Hola de España
Fri, 02-06-2009 - 4:06pm

Hi everyone,

I just posted a little but then thought it would be better to officially introduce myself! My name is Cat, I´m half English/Irish I live in Spain with my DH (Bulgarian) and DD who was born here in September. We have a lot of friends with mixed families/languages but I thought it would be interesting if any of you have any wisdom as to how to best approach this? So far I try to talk to DD in English my DH speaks with her in Bulgarian and friends speak to her in Spanish, but at home DH and I speak all three together. Also our neighbours speak to her in Mallorquin a dialect of Catalan (the local language) French and German, and I don´t think my poor DD will ever begin to speak with all this confusion... I thank you in advance for any advice!

Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
In reply to: catjoan
Fri, 02-06-2009 - 9:04pm
Welcome to the board!

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-07-2009 - 3:02am

Hi and welcome to the board!

I don't have any children so I can't really provide any advices. However, DH and I are Chinese born and raised in a former French colony in Africa. Hence, we ended up speaking three languages at home and in the public, and learning basic English then Spanish or German at school. Although we've not remained very fluent in all of those languages, I think we could have been if we have kept practicing. But being multilingual is not impossible.

I'd suggest that you just keep being consistent in whichever method you choose to. Also, don't turn the languages learning into a chore, but rather a fun or normal activity.

It will work out!
-Sophie

Edited 2/7/2009 10:51 pm ET by kouiii

Edited 2/7/2009 10:52 pm ET by kouiii

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-07-2009 - 1:16pm

Sounds like you're doing it right. :) Just be consistent and never mix languages in the same sentence and she'll do fine!

P.S. Good to see another SG mama in Europe!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-07-2009 - 10:47pm
I know a few people that do three languages, we are just trying to do english/spanish, but we did do a wee bit of french when we traveled to st. barth's. I think that having neighbors speaking so many additional languages could be a little much. I think sticking to the three main languages you use in your family for now would be the best for her, and as she gets older, like 4-8, if she is really into languages you could introduce french, or other languages.
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-09-2009 - 6:29am
Thanks for the welcome and advice! I would like to ask my neighbours to only speak to her in Spanish but I don't want to hurt there feelings! I guess I'll will mention it subtly and see how it goes....
Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-09-2009 - 8:01am

Welcome to the board!!!

I don't really have any advice for you on the languages. At least not with dealing with so many in your community, :). I am only used to 2 langauges. When your child starts playing with other Spanish speakers she will pick it up, and if you are following the OPOL system she won't have a problem with the other two languages.

Photobucket