Manners
Tue, 02-17-2009 - 6:53am

So I realize the countries we live in

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_amberlee127
Tue, 02-17-2009 - 6:59am
  • Do you say "hi" to people even if they are strangers? Why? Why not?
  • No, that use to always shock me in the US. Even as an American. I couldn't understand why, when walking down the street, someone would randomly say hi or ask me 'how am I doing'
  • Do you listen to other's people conversations on the street?
  • Yes, more of a bad habit I guess. Not so much no since I can't understand a lot. Though as soon as I hear someone speak english my ears are like antenna's!
  • Do you think it is good manners to hug or kiss another person in greeting?
  • Here in Germany, yes. As for the Us, it really depends on the people. If you are good friends then yes, though not the kissing thing, that isn't common among my friends and where I lived before. Here with my MIL, her DH my FIL and his DW it is always a hug and kiss on the cheek. People I don't know always a handshake.
  • Do you let people pass you when you are driving in your car?
  • Always....though here everyone passes me because they think they are amateur Michael Schumachers or Lewis Hamilton.
  • Do you honk your horn to people when you drive?

• When they don't see the light has turned green, or to say bye as we drive away from friends or family.
  • Photobucket

iVillage Member
    Tue, 02-17-2009 - 10:15am

# Do you say "hi" to people even if they are strangers? Why? Why not?
    *Not strangers no. Not sure why not... I guess I don't see why I would say hi to them ya know? If someone randomly says hi to me I'd wonder why. LOL. I DO say bless you to strangers when they sneeze though. ;-)

# Do you listen to other's people conversations on the street?
    *Well if they're talking that loud I may inadvertently listen but I don't do it intentionally.

# Do you think it is good manners to hug or kiss another person in greeting?
    * Yes, I hug people when I greet them and when they're leaving. Only people I know though! LOL.

# Do you let people pass you when you are driving in your car?
    * Yes. I also let people in. I cannot stand those people that won't let anyone in, if you're sitting at a red light those extra 6 ft aren't going to save you any time!

# Do you honk your horn to people when you drive?
    *Only in the "hey light's green" context.

Photobucket
    iVillage Member
    Tue, 02-17-2009 - 10:38am

• Depends on the situation, where I am, what I'm doing...

iVillage Member
    Tue, 02-17-2009 - 10:41am

# Do you say "hi" to people even if they are strangers? Why? Why not? === if they make eye-contact, yes.

# Do you listen to other people's conversations on the street? === I try not to but some people, especially those on cell phones, make it VERY hard to not overhear

# Do you think it is good manners to hug or kiss another person in greeting? === it all depends on the place *and* how well you know the person. In this part of the world, hugging and kissing is a given among close friends and family. In other places I have lived, the air kiss takes the place of a handshake. I never managed to get straight, though, when this air kiss was appropriate, how many cheeks to kiss, etc.

# Do you let people pass you when you are driving in your car? === of course.

# Do you honk your horn to people when you drive? === never, not because I think it is rude but because I never can react fast enough to make the horn honk mean something to that person! besides, I think the horn should be reserved for warnings --- and I know that in some cities, you can be cited for using your horn...

CL for "

iVillage Member
    Tue, 02-17-2009 - 11:26am

• No all the time.

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
    Tue, 02-17-2009 - 11:37am
  • iVillage Member
    Tue, 02-17-2009 - 1:05pm

Do you say "hi" to people even if they are strangers? Why? Why not?
    I smile and nod to people if I catch their eyes. If we've meet bumping to each other in the street or at work, I'l probably start to say hi.

Do you listen to other's people conversations on the street?
    If you have as many journalist friends as I have, their habits start to become yours.

Do you think it is good manners to hug or kiss another person in greeting?
    I do this all the time.

Do you let people pass you when you are driving in your car?
    I don't drive, but I imagine that I'd let them pass. It isn't a race, after all.

Do you honk your horn to people when you drive?
    Again, I don't drive, but I wouldn't do this unless they did something fairly much irritating.

iVillage Member
    Tue, 02-17-2009 - 1:37pm
    # Do you say "hi" to people even if they are strangers? Why? Why not? rarely. if a person says hi to me then i almost always say hi to them.
    # Do you listen to other's people conversations on the street? no
    # Do you think it is good manners to hug or kiss another person in greeting? yes- to family or friends you haven't seen in a long time
    # Do you let people pass you when you are driving in your car? yes
    # Do you honk your horn to people when you drive? only if they're hot guys!

iVillage Member
    Tue, 02-17-2009 - 1:47pm

This is an interesting one...

Photobucket

iVillage Member
    Tue, 02-17-2009 - 1:51pm

• yes, that is kind of the custom in rural America.