Tuning out another language?

iVillage Member
Tuning out another language?
Wed, 02-18-2009 - 2:47pm
Talking with a friend writer about how I have as part of my novels two characters who are doing OPOL with their toddler. *Mom* does English and *Dad* does German. I'm very careful about how much German I use and try to have comments around it in English that give context clues. You know, like parents can do when the child replies in the *wrong* language: "Yes, Daddy says 'der Hund', but I say 'dog'." He's contending that even in real life when parents do OPOL that the parent who doesn't know the other language will eventually tune it out. I guess I have more faith in people lol... but has anyone actually had this happen with a spouse? Did it cause problems? Discomfort? I'm worrying about it now with Finn, my partner, and I. My partner has no desire to learn German, although he's picked up a few words and doesn't take it too bad when a word or two of German accidentally slips into something I'm saying to him.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-18-2009 - 3:51pm
I'm trying to learn Danish, so I definitely don't tune it out. I'm no help! I can't imagine not wanting to learn my husband's language!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-18-2009 - 3:57pm
He works a very hard, very physical job that has long hours and a swing shift. He finds German interesting, but the idea of spending time to learn it, after a long day of work, just doesn't appeal to him. It'd be cool if he did, but I really don't care as much since he's supportive of us working towards OPOL. The only real problem I've had is getting my hand's on more German media and it looks like he wants directv rather than dish network at our new house, which means no German programming unfortunately.
I guess part of what got me thinking is that I never tune out another language, regardless if I know a word of it or not. Language is such a rich thing to me; I always want to just bask in it :D

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-19-2009 - 5:09pm

I have to admit that I don't always pay attention to what DH and his family are saying.

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-20-2009 - 8:47am
see, that's how I feel... just hearing it... it's cool when I know the words, but that doesn't mean it isn't cool to hear it if I don't know them

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-20-2009 - 8:53pm
I also love listening to different languages.

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-21-2009 - 10:23am
I just can't imagine how empty a life would be if someone didn't love languages as we do.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-23-2009 - 4:56am

I will admit when I am tired or my head hurts from trying to process too much German I tune it out. I do it a lot out with family. I just get tired because of my limited skills and I just don't want to hear German any more or speak it.

When my DH speaks German with our DD I listen. Mostly because it is just normal talk, but it helps me to understand and I am hoping I can pick up some more words. Though my DH still speaks Denglish with her. I am trying and trying to get him to speak ONLY German but I don't want it to be a battle. Her family here all speak German with her, no English.

It was funny Wednesday I met up with some other Americans married to German men. We met for brunch. So one hadn't met Maggie yet her and her daughter come up to her and were talking in English and Maggie was the most excited child ever. This woman was surprised because she is dark (Mexican/Mexican indian) and she says that some other children here in Germany look at her and are normally shy around her. My only thinking was that since she speaks mommy language the this woman is ok. Either that or Maggie is really social with people my age. She is shy around my DHs family...I am not sure if it is an age thing or a German vs English thing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-23-2009 - 11:15am
I can no longer tune out any of the three languages I know, even when I wish I could because people are talking too much and being boring. Before I knew French and Italian well enough, I could do that, if we were out somewhere and the conversation was becoming too tiring or stuck on one subject, usually someone's work, or politics, and then it would become a boring argument that no-one wanted to listen to.

Now, I sometimes hear things and afterwards, realise that I'm not sure if I heard it in English or French - of course usually it is French - but it's just that I understand what is being said and what language has been used isn't a big deal.

My problem and worry now is that I often cannot find the appropriate word in English, because the only one that seems to be good is a French one. Then the problem is that so many vocabulary words are shared between French and English, but they might not have exactly the same meaning in both languages.

DH is terrible for mixing French into his English, worse than I am, and he does the same, putting English words into French, so I guess I'm not too bad after all.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2009 - 11:03am

well even I will tune out a language other than English at times like that... when I'm just so tired, so sick etc.
But the acquaintance that made the comment that caused me to start this thread wasn't talking about just when you're not feeling good, but at all times *when talking about print* and then added OPOL when I explained the practice to him.

heh "mommy language" that could be. Of course, children do tend to experience things like race, culture, and language differently than adults. Finn's understanding of African Americans when he was preschool age was "they're chocolate people."

hm Denglish. That's a hard one, especially since your husband is fluent in German. Finn gets Denglish from me, but that's largely because I'm not fluent in German yet.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2009 - 11:10am
heh I find German slipping into my dreams; that can be weird since I'm not fluent yet that I could have a whole dream in German, but in the dream, I'll think everything's happening in German lol
true, it can be difficult to have one language not being effected by another. I'm not sure if it's really possible to keep the languages of a multilingual person separate

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Pages