Hello, new here...

iVillage Member
Hello, new here...
Wed, 02-25-2009 - 12:20pm

Hi, I'd like to join your group.

Dawn, DS-12, DD-10, DD-7, DD-5, DD-2, and EDD 11-11-11
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2009 - 3:44pm

You can check places like meetup.com, yahoo! groups, facebook, etc. for a Spanish conversation group or Spanish-speakers group. If Spanish is taught in any schools, colleges, or universities in your area, check with the teachers/professors for local Spanish-related events and groups.

It's not too late to introduce your kids to it either. It's quite a gift to be able to learn it as a kid! :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-26-2009 - 5:30am

Welcome to the Group!!!

Always glad to have new people with different experiences and languages.

I would look online and search for groups. I am not sure if you live in a city or in the suburbs but I think it should be possible since Spanish is a very popular langauge in the US. I remember even in my little city of Richmond VA before I moved there was a German Stammtisch...Which is where a group of people meet, drink, and talk in German or about German culture. I was surprised as it was not a big area for Germans. I never went, probably should have before I moved here. It was hosted at a local restuarant and I found it when I went to look up the menu.

The PP mentioned some good places to search. If not anything organized maybe you can find other Spanish speakers and try to start you own group. Maybe a mothers group with Spanish speakers.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-26-2009 - 12:50pm
Welcome to the board!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-11-2009 - 2:37pm

Hello, I just found this sight. I am from Cuba so Im fluent in Spanish. Im raising my 7yro grson & hmschling him, but

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 9:13am
Welcome to the board, Aleri!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 9:25am

Welcome to the board!

I am sure others will have better advice, as I am just in the beginning with my 7 month old. We are following OPOL. I think he is still at a young age to where he can learn quickly. So whatever approach you take can't hurt.

I understand about moving to a country where your native language is not spoken. I have the same problem here in Germany. I have been here almost two years and am still struggling with the language but I can understand a lot more than when I first got here. When I first got here I only knew a few words. For me, hearing the language all the time helped a lot. Music, movies...but without understand a lot I do get completely frustrated. Also having my DH help me with words I dont understand help a lot. Then in some of my free time I will go through my language learning books, and try to learn new words and such.

Photobucket

Photobucket