BTDT moms - at what age do kids...

iVillage Member
BTDT moms - at what age do kids...
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 6:01pm

separate the two languages they're learning? I speak only Hungarian to my son who is 2.5 and my DH speaks only english.

My son mixes words in the same sentence for example : My papa is coming haza ( home in hungarian). So he clearly is confused.

I heard from some other moms that it doesn't happen until the age 10! Would you guys say that's true?
I'm interested in everything else BTDT moms have to say...

Bernadette

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-12-2009 - 5:38am
I'm not a BTDT mom but… 10?! I've never heard that. Wow. Interested to see what others say.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-12-2009 - 12:45pm
Welcome to the board. I am also not a BTDT yet...still have some time. I hope some of the other ladies can help you!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket PhotobucketBilingual Families

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-13-2009 - 4:54am

He is not confused. It is just that to him it is all language, and he is still not adept at pulling up the right word when needed. It happens to all of us sometimes. It may also be that his vocab is still limited. The better your vocab, the less this happens.

Is he in any kid of daycare or preschool? Usually being schooled in one or the other language will help cement the "border" between the languages.

Also, learning to read is helpful, both for creating a full and rich environment in each language and extending vocab, but also for keeping them separate. If you live in the US, I would strongly recommend sending him to preschool, on the one hand, and teaching him to read Hungarian BEFORE he goes to school (if at all possible). If that turns out not to be possible, you should wait until his reading in English is well established, say around 2nd grade. The summer between 2nd and 3rd would probably make for a good time to learn to read Hungarian. Also make sure you read to him in Hungarian, daily, especially as he gets older and exposure to English will take over more and more.

Good luck!

ETA: This is a really good resource http://linguistlist.org/ask-ling/index.html Here is there FAQ entry on bilingual kids http://linguistlist.org/ask-ling/biling.html

Edited 3/13/2009 4:56 am ET by sild
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-15-2009 - 4:37pm
Julian (5)

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-16-2009 - 5:22am
That's a good point. I will use code switching when I can't think of the word in the right language, if I know that the person I'm speaking to knows the other language too. Sometimes a word just slips my mind, and I'll say "Can you hand me the… the… suttekæde?" just because I thought of that word first, but I'm fully aware that it isn't English!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-23-2009 - 6:33pm
I will use code switching when I can't think of the word in the right language, if I know that the person I'm speaking to knows the other language too. Sometimes a word just slips my mind, and I'll say "Can you hand me the… the… suttekæde?" just because I thought of that word first, but I'm fully aware that it isn't English!

I do that ALL the time!! Sometimes a word just comes quicker or easier in one language than the other. Or, some words just aren't used or don't really have a proper word for them in the other language.

I'm not a BTDT mom (yet), but I do have friends whose kids are bilingual. There could be some confusion between the languages, but I think kids "get it" from a young age that the languages are different some how and that usually you speak one language to one person and the other to the other person. I don't think it is confusion as such. I know that one friend's kid understood his father in English, but refused to speak to him in anything but Finnish. One day (about the age of 3 or so) the kid just started speaking English and now he goes at it in both languages. It's funny because I don't know whether to speak to him in Finnish or English and he doesn't seem to have any issues which language I use. He'll be 5 this summer I think.. *gulp* My time flies.

#DE711F
< =< -->