iVillage Member
Easter Celebrations
Mon, 03-30-2009 - 2:18am
What do you do to celebrate Easter?
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-30-2009 - 2:27am

In the US I always had a nice Easter basket waiting for me Easter morning. Here in Germany there really are no Easter Baskets. Though I did try to make one for my DH last year with a note from an unhappy Easter Bunny. :) My DH loves chocolate so that is what mattered to him, lol. With my family it was always a nice big dinner. Normally ham...I think, or a bird...It has been awhile since I celebrated Easter with my US family.

Here in Germany, we have Ostern! There are a lot of things going on depending on where you live and what you want to celebrate. There are holidays here, I think my DH has some time off around Easter. We have fasching but we don't celebrate it. Though some cities go all out! Parades and such, if I am correct it is called Karneval. Tuesday I am meeting up with some ladies, part of our English speaking group here. We will be doing Easter crafts. Well Maggie will be adored and getting lots of attention at least. :) There will be an easter egg hunt, maybe maggie will find one. Though I will have to hold her and help, and then keep her from trying to put the egg in her mouth!

The Saturday before Easter there will be a big bonfire. This will be my first one. I knew they had them but not where we lived before. Then Sunday for an early dinner at my MILs...I totally forget what she normally makes. I think a bird...don't ask which one, lol.

We don't go to church. Neither one of us is very religious. We each have our own beliefs. We don't discuss religion much, no reason to. Also to go to curch here, or be married in one you must be a member. Which means you have to pay more taxes. I really wanted to have a church wedding, but you must be a member. I thought maybe the one church in the tourist area might be possible but it looks to be an evagelical church. They just have services elsewhere.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-30-2009 - 1:06pm

DH and I cant agree on a church- I'm wanting something fairly liberal, and he's more conservative with his views.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-30-2009 - 4:02pm
We are atheists, so for us Easter is just cultural fun time. DH gets a few days off work and we're going to London this year. We won't be doing much Easter-y stuff, but when D.L. is older and can enjoy it more, I'm looking forward to decorating eggs and doing a proper egg hunt. We did do Fastelavn (Shrovetide/Karnival) which in Denmark is like Halloween and much more a kids' holiday than elsewhere. We dressed D.L. in a costume and let everyone tell us how cute she is, and that was about it. When she's older, she'll be able to get candy and go to parties. Adults just watch the kids, and eat fastelavnsboller.

fastelavnsboller

Now, there are Easter-themed candies sold all over town, but no baskets like I'm used to in America. The Danish name for daffodil is literally "Easter lily" (påskelilje) and there are daffodils all over the place. Yellow is my favorite color and I love daffodils so this is super fun to me! It's tradition to eat lamb and egg dishes. Tuborg (as well as some smaller breweries) always starts selling Easter beer (påskebryg) just for the holidays, too.

Easter beer

BTW, at one point we were planning to be married in a Danish church (to appease my parents) and they would allow it because DH was a member even though I wasn't. He was a member until a couple years ago when I was bugging him about the taxes. He didn't really mind paying the taxes because it keeps the churches looking nice, which he liked from a historical perspective. We ended up having a "wedding" stateside with my parents' pastor officiating instead, and doing the legal bit in a Danish rådhus.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-27-2009 - 3:55am

Yoy, that is funny. I know it is already after easter, but if you are interested: we celebrate the czech way (since we are in CZ) and I think we will take this tradition with us to states. Of course the whole weekend it´s food and food and food. Traditional is lamb, but we usually do not do that. this year we got beautiful chicken and duck (both from organic farm nearby our country house) and some other delicious things. On

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-27-2009 - 5:01am
Who knew Czechs were so kinky, lol.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-28-2009 - 6:26am

Yes, we like beeing kinky :)