I can use some help....please

iVillage Member
I can use some help....please
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 9:12am

Hi,

I am expecting my first baby and I am bit scared. My partner is american an I am czech (czech republic- in the middle of europe). I found this site and everybody seems to be so nice and helpfull, so I thought somebody here can help me too. I wonder how you choosed names for your baby. Because we do not really know how. I can not pronounce half he likes and he keeps pronouncing everything in english... (girls at baby names message board are already helping us finding something...but I was thinking you may have some experience with it.)also we are now in czech republic (I want to give birth at home...), but when baby arrives we will

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-21-2009 - 10:17am

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Definitely keep speaking Czech with your baby! He or she will get to learn both Czech and English by hearing both, and that is a great opportunity. :) My husband speaks Danish to our daughter and I speak English. We would do this no matter where we lived.

I definitely understand your situation with baby names. We originally wanted to pick a name that sounded roughly the same in both languages. There are a few names that work this way between Danish and English, such as Mia, Emma, Annika, Thomas, Lukas, Oskar… but unfortunately we did not like any of them very much for various reasons.

In the end we picked a name we really, really liked, regardless of the language issue. Our daughter's name is Dagmar, which does not sound the same at all between English and Danish. We pronounce it the Danish way, and since we are living in Denmark it is not a daily concern, but when we are in the States, it does confuse people. We tell people how to say it, and they try though it usually sounds a bit wrong. We have given her an "American" nickname of D.L. which is easier to say for them and is not confusing.

We have some names in mind for future children, and some "work" better in English, and some "work" better in Danish, and we're just living with it. I am an American, born to American parents, I grew up in the States and I STILL had to spell and pronounce my name to EVERYONE and was always correcting people. It is not any better now living in Denmark, but I still love my name and wouldn't have it any other way. I hope that my children can feel that way too!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-22-2009 - 5:09am

We were lucky with the names issue. I like a lot of German/European names. Though I hate the way Americans pronounce the names. My DD is Magdalena...I am sure you can think about how your DH would pronouce that. short a...sigh...As we live here in Germany it is not really an issue.

Though we did have an issue with a few that I liked, it was just the harder G pronunciation in German compared to English. Giselle had been a long fav or mine but in German...not so. Others belonged to family members.

As for language, I speak English and DH (most of the time) speaks German. We keep it that way. Though my DH needs to stop speaking Denglish (german english) to her. That is the best method that I read. You can have English as the language spoken between DH and you as well as it being the community language. Baby will learn that mommy speaks this language.

You need to come to an agreement in the end. Maybe something neutral. If you pick a European name, no matter what you do Ami's will still pronounce it their way. The vowels are pronounced differently...I wish I had better advice. Good luck.

Oh and welcome to the board...ugh, I am a bad CL.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

PhotobucketBilingual Families

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-22-2009 - 5:12am
I got lucky with my first name, living on the Baltic coast Amber is everywhere. So Amber and Bernstein are interchangable here...most people think they surprise me when they tell me what Amber means in German...sigh...I learned that before I moved here.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

PhotobucketBilingual Families

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 10:44am

Thank you very much. It feels nice to know there is somebody who knows how I feel. And Dagmar is very beautiful name. Our former first lady was Dagmar (and she was very pretty and nice lady)

Pavla

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 10:49am

Thanks a lot. Also beautiful name. It is on our list too. I admire everybody who can raise kids in foreign country. Hope I can do it too, when we move back to states...

Pavla

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 4:36pm

LOL, I can definitely relate to this problem. We finally chose a name that is used in many countries. What we had not properly considered was our dd's personality. At home we pronounce the name the Greek way, which is very different from the English, Danish etc way (all of which are quite similar). I had stupidly thought that the kid would accept the name in the English/Danish pronunciation, but even at 2 she would not. She makes everyone say it the Greek way. Something that is quite difficult for many people.

Originally I had very much wanted her to be Eugenia, but it is quite ugly in Danish "ØV-ge-ni-a" and also very different in the different languages (Ev-ye-NI-a in Greek, but Eu-JEE-ni-a in English).

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-26-2009 - 4:39pm
One more thing: I love the name Dagmar! It is one of my all time favorite Danish name.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-27-2009 - 2:25am

What helps me the most is having a partner from the country I live in. At least when the countries language is not my own. We are thinking of another EU country for the future.

I don't know many Czech names, my Slovakian family all change their first names to more American names when they got there in the 1900's. My grandfather as well in 1929...Agnieska (I forget how to spell it) to Annaleise...I think. Josef to Joseph...Its hard to find one that works all around. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-10-2009 - 11:27am

Congrats on your baby! I hope to be in your situation soon. :)

I'm an American that's been living in Finland for 10years. My DH is Finnish. When we have kids, I am very sure that I will speak English to the kids and DH will speak Finnish. And most likely the language between us will still be English (it could change someday though. LOL).

Right now, we kind of have the same sort of problem you do with names. If we choose a Finnish name my family will most likely have a hard time pronouncing it. As it is, they have a hard time with my in-law's names. Hehehe!
Also, the names he likes in Finnish, I can't stand. And DH doesn't really like ANY names I've suggested. I'm sure once the situation becomes a reality and a kid will be on its way, we'll find something we like (I hope!).

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and choose a name that you and your DH like.

#DE711F
< =< -->

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 11:29am

Thank you all for your support and help. We finaly agreed on some names (the pole is on baby names: down to three for my bumble girl by pajapapaya if you are interested) and I feel much more comfy about everything. I am so happy there are other people like me. I know it was naive to think I was the only one, but it sort of seemed that way last few years.

thanks again for making me feell welcomed.

pavla

Pages