Which language do you mostly use at h...

iVillage Member
Which language do you mostly use at h...
Tue, 05-26-2009 - 9:20am

Which language do you mostly use at home?

• DH’s/SO’s language.
  • Mine
  • A mix of both.
  • Other

You will be able to change your vote.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-26-2009 - 9:25am
I'm still learning German- certainly not fluent- but I use as much German as possible with my son, while my partner is continuing in his native English. However we do have the rule that I switch entirely to English (with occasional accidents of German sneaking in) when we're talking as a family.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-27-2009 - 5:43am

We have an English-almost-only household. That is what we decided on when we moved to Greece. It has worked out well. Dd's school life and life with friends etc is conducted entirely in Greek, while with her family it is in English. Since her father does speak Greek fluently, he may sometimes switch to Greek if there is a good reason, but it is rare that he does. When we are out with other people, I always speak English to dd as well, whereas dh may speak to her in Greek if it seems more natural in the context.

ETA: English is, btw, neither my native language nor dh's. He grew up bilingual Greek/German and I grew up in Denmark. Because we met and married in the US, English was the default shared language and we have both used it so long that it does not really seem like a foreign language to either of us (dh moved to the US at age 11, I was 19 when Ianded in North America).

Edited 5/27/2009 5:46 am ET by rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-08-2009 - 6:11am
I only speak English to DD. DH and I speak mostly English to each other, but we do speak Danish sometimes because I need the practice. DH speaks mostly Danish with DD, but sometimes he speaks English because the two of us were speaking English and he's "including" her in the conversation. When we're singing, though, all bets are off. lol The lullaby we usually sing is in German, and sometimes I sing to her in French or Spanish as well.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-08-2009 - 8:42am

That’s nice that you sing lullabies to her.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-08-2009 - 10:27am
I HAD to sing to DD when she was little.

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 5:31am

We would just pat/rub DS’s back and maybe hum to him to signify that it was bed time.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-09-2009 - 10:43am
My mother was a music teacher and she was constantly singing when I grew up. I thought it was soooo embarrassing when I got older and I swore I'd never do that with my kids. HA! So much for that plan.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 4:08am

I like music and I guess I like to sing but I feel the public is better off if I don’t share my ‘talent’.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-10-2009 - 1:02pm
What really annoys my kids (and sometimes DH) is that I make up my own songs and words for things.

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-15-2009 - 4:09am
I make up my own as well, but DD is too young to think it is embarassing yet. Don't worry that will come...and with Papi too!!! I change the songs and add her name into it. 'If your Maggie and you know it clap your hands!' I think I got her on teh camera video actually clapping her hands while I was singing that. Then Mando Diaos 'Dance with somebody' I say 'Dance with the Maggie'. She seems to like hearing her name...oh and Maggie Mouse club instead of Mickey Mouse club, that was a favorite but not so much any more. Old MaggieDonald had a farm...:)

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

PhotobucketBilingual Families

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker

Pages