Looking for Advice

iVillage Member
Looking for Advice
Wed, 06-03-2009 - 2:36pm

Hi All,

I have a 4 month old and I want her to be multi-lingual-

My family speaks creole, and we have family in France- so that's 2 lanugages there - (french and creole) but we do not speak french on this side of the pond often.

Her father (he's no longer in the picture) is German- and although he's not in the picture- I still want her to know that language as well.

Is there a method that you find works best?

Below is my plan- please help bc I am not sure if this is the best route:

Right now- older family members speak to her in creole, I speak english with her, and take her to a french/creole speaking church.

I have the french cable channel and children's cds in french and play whenever we're driving. At 2yrs, I am hoping to enroll her in the children's language workshop or Alliance Francaise in NYC and take classes for myself as well.

Annual trips to France may be an option here since I used to go every couple of years since I was 15.

As far as German goes- Rosetta Stone when she's able to read.

Please let me know your thoughts, any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Ketsia

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 10:32am

It sounds to me like you’ve got it all planned out nicely.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 11:08am
Actually you don't have to wait until she's able to read for Rosetta Stone. Since it pairs the words (in the target language) with a picture and a native speaker saying the word, literacy in any language is not necessary. However, waiting on it may be a good idea, at least a few years so she can get a good start on English & Creole.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 5:55pm

I only know a few words here and there and can communicate (barely) on my last 2 visits.

right now I made up a special counting song for her - i count to 10 using my fingers while singing - first in english, then french, then german- for each language I use a different sequence- she loves the song bc she pays attention throughout the whole song and does these weird things with her fingers like she's mimicking what I'm doing.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-05-2009 - 12:27am

Hi and welcome to the board!

I don't have any children yet, but I was raised multilingual. I think one of the keys is to practice and be exposed to the languages. So I think having your family or a community speaking French and Creole to your daughter is a good idea.

Do they have any German equivalent to the Alliance Francaise? Or maybe a German association? You might either find books, DVDs, or new friends for your daughter to be exposed to the German language.

Anyway, welcome to the board again!

-Sophie

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-05-2009 - 10:06am

“…..and does these weird things with her fingers like she's mimicking what I'm doing.”

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-08-2009 - 12:33pm

Thank you for welcoming me.

I can do some digging, but right now it's just cds with children's songs.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-08-2009 - 12:36pm

I never knew how much one can learn from babies and how much joy I can get from the littlest thing (like moving her fingers like she's counting)

Photobucket