Mon, 09-21-2009 - 3:54pm

Happy Monday everyone!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 3:58pm

For us we’ve been doing school things.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-03-2009 - 10:43am

Do you really want to know??? LOL!

Well, the 22nd of September was the big Muslim holiday so all the household staff bar two went home a few days before that (which was an adventure in itself for some).

On the 22nd we had an open house. This year, because my dad had just started with home dialysis, my mother had called a few people and told them to not come, which significantly cut the number of visitors. We still had around 55 people over, though. I didn't get to see them very much as I was either doing home dialysis with my father (which he has to do 4 times a day) or keeping him company since he didn't feel like socializing that much.

Trying to lead a balanced life - aka Poppy does not want to miss out on anything - I was also going out to lunch or dinner with friends. The Eid holidays are a time where Jakarta is quiet, nearly smog-free and certainly traffic-free so we did a lot of things. My friends were kind enough to schedule lunch or dinner according to my dad's dialysis schedule.

Now it's back to work. Tomorrow I go see a sushi-making competition. Next week I need to look for contributors and writers. Next Sunday we go see a presentation about the Japanese Tea Ceremony as well as Japanese cooking.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-03-2009 - 2:01pm

"Tomorrow I go see a sushi-making competition."

YUM!!! Let me know how it goes. I'm just getting ready to make myself some sushi at home.. I just need to get my behind off the computer. :)

Twilight-Quotes

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-04-2009 - 9:09pm

The sushi-making competition was... busy. It was packed-full of people so it was rather difficult to see. It's a pity they didn't have cameras and TV's so that the whole room could have followed the sushi chefs without having to get really, really close (and blocking the view for the others).

I'm really looking forward to the tea ceremony this Saturday, though, and the cooking demonstration using local ingredients!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 3:42am

Dialysis four times a day must be a hard schedule to work around.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 7:08am

I’m not very keen on fish but my friends tell me they make sushi with lots of non-fish items these days.

I'm not too keen on raw fish either and the sushi I make at home doesn't

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 6:14am

Shrimp or crab would be yummy to me.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-10-2009 - 11:09pm

It's been Japanese week for me LOL!

The sushi competition was very busy. Unfortunately, they didn't have screens and cameras, so it was very difficult to see what the sushi chefs were doing.

On Thursday a friend of mine took me to a small Japanese restaurant, and I had chirashi sushi, which is when the sushi toppings are placed on a bowl of rice instead of being individually rolled into sushi.

Yesterday I went to a tea ceremony, which was interesting but unfortunately they didn't *explain* anything about it. There was also a cooking demonstration/talk with a famous Japanese chef and product presentations as well as some food tastings (it was at a restaurant). I had a nice conversation with someone who was launching his own tea business and met a couple pretty interesting people now living in Jakarta.

I really like fish, so sushi and sashimi are ideal for me (especially since I have to problems eating raw fish and meats as long as they are very fresh). As Heather said, they make sushi with non-fish topping or fillings now so you ought to be able to find something that you like!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-12-2009 - 2:18am

That would be disappointing to attend a tea ceremony only to find they didn’t give explanations of each movement.