Snag that job?

iVillage Member
Snag that job?
Mon, 09-28-2009 - 7:37am

For those who work or have worked in the past….. did being bilingual help you snag that job, was being bilingual a requirement, or did being bilingual play any type of positive roll in you getting the job?

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-01-2009 - 9:05am

Well, I wouldn’t say it’s scored me an ‘official’ job because I’ve never applied for one since the day I became a SAHM. : )

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-02-2009 - 12:06pm
I think NOT being bilingual has made it harder for me to get a job in this economy.

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-03-2009 - 4:52am

Yes, I think I’ve seen RN job listing that say Spanish a plus.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-03-2009 - 10:02am

Yes, being able to speak different languages certainly opened a lot of doors and opportunities for me especially here in South East Asia. Being bi-or tri-lingual were requirements since I was working in an international environment.

In my first job I was expected to be a fluent French speaker (and having lived in France was a huge boon). In my second and third jobs, I was expected to be a fluent English speaker and was expected to be able to write articles and copy in English. The French came in very handy, too. Most recently, it was huge bonus being able to speak Italian to Italian factories, and French to French ones in addition to my design background. It minimised misunderstandings and just speeded up the whole process. Frustration levels went down considerably (except for me since they were giving me more and more responsibilities).

Right now I have to hone my Indonesian again, so it's kind of back to square one again for me LOL! I can write an article in probably a few hours were it in English but currently in Indonesian it's going to take a couple of days.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-03-2009 - 2:11pm

Being multi-lingual is definitely a plus, but most often employers here want you to be a foreigner who speaks Finnish fluently, all the while touting that they are international and all that..but still quite stuck in their ways if you don't speak Finnish. I do understand them wanting you to speak their language, but it also depends on the company you are trying to get hired at.

I am lucky at the job I am at now. It is very international that Finnish isn't required, as the company language is English, but it sure does help to know the language. At least from the point of being able to join in in lunch or coffee break banter (and they don't have to always switch to English).

I guess being a native English speaker has helped me get some of my jobs here. I won't complain. :)

Twilight-Quotes

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 3:19am

Wow, that’s super that you can conduct business in so many languages.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 3:25am

That’s great that you found a job were the main, on-the-job, language they wanted was English.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 7:14am

Do you do tutoring now? I've not done that, but I have worked in day care centers where they teach kids English (my first two jobs & years here in Finland). It was fun and I learned a lot, but not something I'd want to do again..just not my thing.

The job I have now took me 8.5 years of living in Finland before I got it. I don't mean I was trying to get it for that long, but all

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 6:30am

No, I do not tutor currently.